RUBBER or VITON O- Rings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTJEEP

Reaction score
WHAT type of O- Rings do I need forv
transmission lined?

Will common rubber O-Rings with stand ATF4, or do I need Viton O-Rings ?

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Use the Viton. Better oil/chemical resistance. I don't think plain rubber are recommended for much of anything anymore. Strange reference linked below but seems legit.

reference

CTJEEP

Reaction score
Parts store was useless. Didn't know what Viton was.

Having trouble getting .my hands on viton o-rings.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Parts store was useless. Didn't know what Viton was.

Having trouble getting .my hands on viton o-rings.
Viton is a brand name for the FKM family of fluorocarbon elastomers. It is falling out of favor due to the extreme toxicity of its manufacturing components.

Most automotive OEM o rings these days are made of one of any number of recipes for Nitrile. Commonly these are referred to as BUNA, BUNA-N, BUNA-L, etc.

All nitrile o rings are rated for chemical exposure, including ATF-4.

You will have more luck at the parts store if you ask for specific parts numbers.

However, if you insist on a specific material, you must know the cross section diameter, outs side diameter, and inside diameter, then any industrial supply can get you what you want. For rings and seals either Motion Industries or McMaster-Carr are the way to go. You could use Grainger or MSC, but their prices are rarely competitive.

Personally I always found Viton to be too high a durometer and prone to installation damage and subsequent catastrophic failure particularly when the slightly softer Nitrile rings do the same job.