Rough Idle/CELs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Lol its not all that bad. If you lived in the area, I could teach a class on this stuff

Not to hijack the thread but this is really good stuff! I can tell you have a sophisticated scanner. What is yours and can you recommend one that would give decent info but on more of a budget for the infrequent user? I have 5 vehicles (98/01/02/08/11) all different manufacturers.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not running top of the line equipment actually. I'm using a Snapon Solus Pro. The latest incarnation of it is the Solus Ultra. They had a previous model called Solus, that is similar to mine, but used regular batteries to operate the tool when not attached to a vehicle. Mine uses NiCad packs. It has a CF card in it for storage that I can upload onto a PC. New, you're spending $4k and more. You can find used ones for a lot less though. Just look around on Ebay, etc. Updates are not cheap, if the software doesn't cover your vehicles. OTC makes a scan tool as well that is cheaper, but coverage is mediocre, and performance of the tool flat out *****.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Well, I'm not running top of the line equipment actually. I'm using a Snapon Solus Pro. The latest incarnation of it is the Solus Ultra. They had a previous model called Solus, that is similar to mine, but used regular batteries to operate the tool when not attached to a vehicle. Mine uses NiCad packs. It has a CF card in it for storage that I can upload onto a PC. New, you're spending $4k and more. You can find used ones for a lot less though. Just look around on Ebay, etc. Updates are not cheap, if the software doesn't cover your vehicles. OTC makes a scan tool as well that is cheaper, but coverage is mediocre, and performance of the tool flat out *****.

Thanks for the info. Snapon is always good stuff, pricy but worth it. I've seen the Solus before but never went for it. I've gone the cheap OTC route before but like you said the coverage was mediocre. I did get a really good deal so even as a plain code reader for some of my vehicles it was okay. I'm pretty sure an investment would be worth it given my need to try everything myself. Not to mention places often charge 100 bucks just for a hookup. I think I'll check around ebay and see whats out there.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Sunday I replaced the Bosch 02 sensor with the NTK and new plugs, air filter and cleaned the TB. CEL has been off since and no codes are showing up when being scanned.

Will update again in a few days with more miles!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have put about 150 miles on it this week, and still no CEL! Idle still doesn't seem perfect once warmed up, but I don't think it ever was..

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear a positive update. :)

Mine came on two days ago. I have an OBD-II scanner on the way which will be here Tuesday. I have an idea what it might be, though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine always seemed to idle a bit rough compared to other vehicles I've owned. Never really bothered me much. Recent change to new NGKs helped a bit. I never considered it a problem. A while back I found this thread:

3.7L V6 idles a little rough? - JeepForum.com

Thought it sounded reasonable. Wonder what you all think.
That would be why.Mine has always had a good vib at idle,makes odd noises,and all that fun stuff since day one.It's still going and still moving my KJ with little effort.

Latest posts

Members online