Rough Idle/Bright Red Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

windmill*hill

Wiggle Wagon
Reaction score
We purchased this new in '02 and never had any issues with the motor at all. Filled the tank during our last big snow storm in Central Indiana, drove it home (10 miles) and parked it. It sat for 10 days outside before starting it again. It was hesitant to start and idled rough when it did. I gave it a little juice thinking it would smooth out but it never did. I let it run for a few minutes, opened the hood and saw this (pictures attached). Coolant level was fine and protected to -40°. This was the middle of February and it's been sitting ever since other than occasionally starting it. Haven't run any tests on it, but thought maybe someone would recognize a problem from the pictures, maybe not ‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_20210618_092344_363.jpg
    IMG_20210618_092344_363.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210618_092336_040.jpg
    IMG_20210618_092336_040.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 31

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow.. That definitely needs to get check out indeed!
For a minute there, I thought you were from Hawaii, close to molten lava field ! EEK !

windmill*hill

Wiggle Wagon
Reaction score
Looks like your Catalytic converter is plugged.

That would result in poor running. ALA the old school trick of shoving a potato in the exhaust of a 'friends' car.
I miss those potato days. Is it possible for something to build a nest that far in? I'll have to pull that apart and take a look.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Wow.. That definitely needs to get check out indeed!
For a minute there, I thought you were from Hawaii, close to molten lava field ! EEK !
Self welding exhaust!;)

In all seriousness however, if I remember right this sort of symptom was a result of running lean- on the other hand that was on carb engines so I may be way off....I'd be looking for rodent hotels built while it was parked.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Something to quickly try? One inside jeep in park & revving / holding it @ 2500 rpm, other person feeling air output from tailpipe.
Does it have excellent output pressure? Or does it seem to be restricted at all??
Is the engine light on or any stored OBD2 codes?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that when it had a misfire and continued idling of engine with misfire caused the passenger side catalytic converter to glow red hot.
I can’t say for sure if the problem IS the converter being plugged beforehand or if it’s now damaged.

mduclow

Reaction score
I would agree, it looks like a bad catalytic converter. But, running extra hot like that with a rough idle usually means way lean or fat (rich), which a plugged catalytic would cause. It might not be the cat, but probably is.

Magnaflow has some nice high flow cat's for about $100. I used a couple as part of an exhaust for a big block chevy. I liked them.

Latest posts

Members online