Rough idle and poor gas milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobsgym

Reaction score
I have 03 Liberty sport with 3.7. It has a slight rough idle and gets poorish gas milage. any suggestions are to where I should start to look for problems. any help would be great.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I would start with plugs,copper just like came in it,assuming air filter etc have been cared for.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if this applies to you but you will see a difference when winter gas is "taken off the shelf" this spring
....and it's a liberty, if you are getting good mileage...there's something wrong. lol

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Gas Mileage!

We need a new icon under smile$..
38926[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• gaspump2.gif
    gaspump2.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 0

bobsgym

Reaction score
I bought it a month ago and I was told it had fresh plugs in it. I dismissed the slightly rough idle because I thought it was from sitting for awhile. As for the codes the check engine light does not come on. I was told by my local garage there would be no codes to check if the engine does not come on.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would pull one or two plugs to confirm new plugs in there and correct type & gap. Stock NGK or Autolite's
Going to copy this and paste from another post:
Spark Plugs should also be changed every 30k miles, NGK or Autolite Double Platinum should be used. Here is a how video that gives you an idea how to do your own plugs. It is not that hard, and the jeep will run better/smoother with fresh plugs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxsEOCqhHx8
Cleaning the throttle body and IAC (intake air control) is something that should also be done every 30k. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47972
Replace or clean the PCV valve every 30k is a good idea as well.
I would also consider using Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 motor oil and a quality filter like Mobil1 or Purolator. Synthetics flow better in cold to-47 which allows easier starts, with less carbon by products and better cleaning properties to keep the Jeep happy. Most of us use the Mobil 1 synthetic for our engine oil.
May consider a good fuel injector cleaner like Chevron Techron as well.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, other that the PCV valve, there's an inexpensive ( and mostly ignored...) small sponge filter in the airbox...

Change or clean it with some gas, don't know mileage but idle should stabilize. At least it worked for me...

Also, a can of injector cleaner and an 'italian tune-up' sometimes do miracles :D

bobsgym

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I am going to pull the plugs this weekend weather permitting and see what kind and what shape they are in.

Latest posts

Members online