Roof rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust around 3rd brakelight

I knew about these patches of cancer on the rear of the roof when I bought the jeep a few months ago but didn't think they were all that serious. Took it to a smash repairs this morning out of curiosity and he said would cost $1000 to fix, but could have some structural damage inside and be a total waste of time. Really bummed now, I was hoping for an easy fix.
On a scale from 1 to 10 being the worst, whats everyone's opinions? Is it a lost cause?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Neven

Reaction score
I knew about these patches of cancer on the rear of the roof when I bought the jeep a few months ago but didn't think they were all that serious. Took it to a smash repairs this morning out of curiosity and he said would cost $1000 to fix, but could have some structural damage inside and be a total waste of time. Really bummed now, I was hoping for an easy fix.
On a scale from 1 to 10 being the worst, whats everyone's opinions? Is it a lost cause?

That could start rusting deeper and deeper. If he think it's "may be worse" that could be him trying to overprice. Get a second opinion from another shop, obviously don't mention the first shop, see what the guy says. Hope I helped.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing of NSW. But I'm guessing you're close to ocean? Salty breeze? If so, I'd be afraid spending money on it would be a lost cause, since other areas may start showing up at anytime after fixing that one.

Bob

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have/had that same bubbling next to my roof rails. After looking at it for a few months I decided one day to just cut it out. Couldn't believe the amount of rusty flakes I scraped/vacuumed out before beginning the repair. I ended up cutting out a lot more than what was visibly bubbling from the outside.

My thinking is that the faster you find out what it looks like on the inside, the better chance you have of catching it before it gets to a point where it's not worth fixing

Good luck!

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that looks pretty bad in my book. You need to regularly wash your jeep. I use the once a year wax twice a year in all the door seam pop the glass get it all takes some time but it helps alot. As for the problem at hand find someone who welds and has a angle grinder. Tell this person a case of beer and $100 with your help. Buy some color match spray paint twobobs had a link for a good automotive paint match site if i remember correctly. Cut that garbage out weld in a new piece grind down the welds to make it as seemless as possible. Paint and done make it a good experience for your welder/angle grinder friend/person cause you might be back.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought it from a place near the coast, its inland now but who knows how much damage has already been done. Thanks everyone for the advice, its obviously going to be a bigger problem than first thought...

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought it from a place near the coast, its inland now but who knows how much damage has already been done. Thanks everyone for the advice, its obviously going to be a bigger problem than first thought...

I wouldnt say it is a big problem right now but if unattended to it will be. Its possible to do on your own but you would need some trade skills to accomplish it. If this was me i would be able to get it done for the cost of paint and whatever steel unless i have a scrap piece to use. So i would spend what $20-$30. Without these skills you have to pursuade someone to help you out that simple. A body shop is going to ask for top dollar because they are going to try and make it perfect.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt say it is a big problem right now but if unattended to it will be. Its possible to do on your own but you would need some trade skills to accomplish it. If this was me i would be able to get it done for the cost of paint and whatever steel unless i have a scrap piece to use. So i would spend what $20-$30. Without these skills you have to pursuade someone to help you out that simple. A body shop is going to ask for top dollar because they are going to try and make it perfect.

I don't know what you are looking at. The metal is rusted through in two spots. The rust started on the inside and most likely is across the entire rear of the roof incompassing the 3rd light and the hinges for window. Definately not something you will fix for $20 - $30 unless its a "dealer fix" where you pound a dent where the rust shows and fill it with bondo and paint. Do the hinges have reinforcements on the underside?

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to see those images. I have some bubbling in the front just above the windshield. I had a windshield replaced and the top plastic weather-stripping was not sealed correctly which caused the bubbling. Windshield was replaced again after a rock strike (correctly done this time) four years ago and it looks pretty much the same on the outside. I'm hoping its not all the way through. You got me worried now, I'll have to pull back the headliner and see what I can see from the inside.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you are looking at. The metal is rusted through in two spots. The rust started on the inside and most likely is across the entire rear of the roof incompassing the 3rd light and the hinges for window. Definately not something you will fix for $20 - $30 unless its a "dealer fix" where you pound a dent where the rust shows and fill it with bondo and paint. Do the hinges have reinforcements on the underside?

I guess you see something i dont. You cant say its all rust underneath until it is cut open. Did the guy say its leaking when it rains?I have alot of plane steel laying around a mig welder a stick welder a full tank of argon and plently of grinding cutting and sanding wheels for the angle grinder. I would cut the top layer off see the full extent of damage if it happens to be rusted on the inside i would cut/grind as much as i could and apply por 15 and rattle can it. The top pieces i had to cut i would weld new steel in its place. Use a color match paint which would be the costly part of the process. Wouldnt be prefect but it will work. Did i mention bondo at all oh no i didn't:happy175:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have it there, check also under the roof moulding......

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang doesn't nobody know how to wash a vehicle? Zero rust on mine and it's been all over the country(and yes even right next to the ocean for over 3 years,2 of which it was not driven or washed).

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did i mention bondo at all oh no i didn't

You should have. Even with a welded in patch, you fill and smooth with body filler (there are better products than Bondo), unless you like to have lines and lumps in the finished product. I've done a ton of bodywork over the years, both structural and cosmetic, so I'm not talking out my ars. ;)
In KingCur's first picture, it looks to have a couple of small rust holes down low, next to the light. And given the size of those blisters, there are definitely pin holes or larger beneath the paint.
Until he addresses the rust issue for real, the area should be ground down to bare metal and treated with a rust converter: Eastwood Rust Converter
Then seal the holes and paint over it. Leaving it be till you get around to it is going to make it worse, and fast, "rust never sleeps".

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online