Roof rails - maximum weight allowable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Watty

Reaction score
If one is to utilise cross bars mounted on the standard roof rails of the KJ in order to carry a roof luggage carrier (box type), what would the maximum allowable weight be for both the carrier and the load within?

I cannot found any specific information regarding the carrying capacity of the roof rails in the owners manual that came with the vehicle.

Thanx

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, I stood in my basket once and it didn't even seem to bend... I weigh about 160 or so..

Bennett

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
wasnt sure before, cuz i was still mostly asleep. LoL

i think it is more to like 150lbs i read this a wile back...i'll see if i can dig up the threads

palla

Reaction score
Hi guys,

well down here is Aus its 68Kg. Dunno what it is on lbs tho. It was on the rear quarter window sticker before the windows got tinted.

Palla

Derek Mc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it not say in the owners manual? I'd check myself but the manual (inside the car still) doesn't arrive till Saturday ](*,)

garp

Reaction score
Don't forget that it is not necessarily limited by the physical strength of the hardware, I suspect the factory's greatest concern is the effect on the center of gravity of having 100+ pounds mounted that high up.