Roof rack for KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I've been on the highway only twice since I installed it this week. I was shocked the first time because I heard absolutely nothing! Second ride was yesterday and it was really windy outside so it was hard to tell if I was hearing wind hit the whole car or just the rack. Today is a better day and I'll be driving it on the highway again so I'll report back if I hear any noise. Drastically quieter than roof rack systems I've had on past vehicles for sure.
Thanks for the info! My current set up was fast and cheap out of immediate need. Now that I am outfitting off road and work lights, I am considering fabbing my own aluminum flat rack (need to be able to use it, mount lights, and not interfere with my Slumberjack tarp which I use constantly in the field). I am always interested in other's experiences. A co-worker has a brand name flat on his Tacoma and unloaded it sounds like frozen cats being attacked by poorly oiled chainsaws above 45 mph. A neighbor has a different brand on his Cherokee Tortuga build that sounds like a banshee is duct tapped to the roof at anything over 25 mph. Plus...I may have ordered the current basket as it also fits on my 58 Bug...

I'm a bit twitchy and easily distracted by such annoyances, hence my intensity on the subject. While my wife is all about Instagram looks, I'm worried about function over form.

Liberty For All

Reaction score
Any issues with these rails? I’m looking at getting them sent soon so I’m curious if they bolt straight on. Or if any adjustments were made.
One of the rear stock bolts was a bit out of alignment but yes, you use the stock bolts again. The rails look strong and nice but tiny rust spots on a couple of the feet area. I just started applying FastWax spray wax on them to see if it helps weatherize them since I now park the KJ outside. They are powder coated and look great. No delivery problems last year when I ordered them. I just bought a large roof basket to mount when I need extra cargo area. I have not carried any loads yet.

Liberty For All

Reaction score
Any issues with these rails? I’m looking at getting them sent soon so I’m curious if they bolt straight on. Or if any adjustments were made.
My rails came as advertised by RRO, but I had to add rubber strips below each foot of the rails to avoid metal to metal contact. One of the rear bolt holes on one rail was a little off center which I called to tell them to check their measurements. Also, I have a little rust where the welds are so I spray and wipe Silicone there periodically. They sit a touch higher than the OE rails but seem very strong.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My rails came as advertised by RRO, but I had to add rubber strips below each foot of the rails to avoid metal to metal contact. One of the rear bolt holes on one rail was a little off center which I called to tell them to check their measurements. Also, I have a little rust where the welds are so I spray and wipe Silicone there periodically. They sit a touch higher than the OE rails but seem very strong.
Nothing RRO sells has the right pattern to bolt on and they do not care!
They have your money so you are done
Would never buy anything from that lousy company