Rocky Road UCAs and torque reminders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hellomattwhite

Reaction score
Hey everyone, finishing up the front end on my KJ with a set of ironman springs/shocks this afternoon. Mainly I want to put two things out there:

First, and I'll keep this short, I know there's been some longstanding back and forth regarding the quality/fitment of RRO upper control arms. When I was researching suspension and reading through all of the threads here, it was difficult to find first-hand negative experiences within the last few years of RRO UCAs. Well, I can provide my experience that from the set I bought, one of them fits perfectly fine and the other is NOT EVEN CLOSE. I'll be sending them back. Hope my experience can help others.

Second, I know there are some fasteners that should be torqued once the vehicle is on the ground. UCA's, sway bar links? The lower clevis bolt? I was going to go that route with whatever has a bushing, but that lower clevis bolt looks like it'd be hard to get to once the wheels are back on.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well if you had read anything from my experiences you would of never went that route!
That was first hand !
Go to JBA and get the best
Your experiences are not uncommon at all
Same we ran into a set that a buddy got from RRO , told him not to, but he didn't listen , they did not fit ! Called them, they said just put them in a vice and bend them LOL
So ended up with JBAs and they dropped right into place
Set of their top plates were not drilled right , they said we didn't know how to properly install them
and the list goes on and on

As far as what to tighten once on ground is the UCAs ( in engine bay ) not ball joint
Sway bar links, even install them after on the ground
are the main things
If replacing rear LCAs they should be tightened with full weight on them, but that is easy to jack up diff and tighten before wheels are installed

Last edited:

hellomattwhite

Reaction score
Well if you had read anything from my experiences you would of never went that route!
That was first hand !
Go to JBA and get the best
Your experiences are not uncommon at all
Same we ran into a set that a buddy got from RRO , told him not to, but he didn't listen , they did not fit ! Called them, they said just put them in a vice and bend them LOL
So ended up with JBAs and they dropped right into place
Set of their top plates were not drilled right , they said we didn't know how to properly install them
and the list goes on and on

As far as what to tighten once on ground is the UCAs ( in engine bay ) not ball joint
Sway bar links, even install them after on the ground
are the main things
If replacing rear LCAs they should be tightened with full weight on them, but that is easy to jack up diff and tighten before wheels are installed
Yes, indeed. Lessons learns and points taken. I've been lurking around here for a bit, and I've learned a great deal from you and others reading through all of this content. So, much appreciated.