Rocky road combo lift kit/budget lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to get their combo kit with rancho/shocks struts. It's acutally cheaper and better to just get the rusty's coil spring kit. As soon as i get my income tax check i'm ording one. \:D/

fdems

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! I was thinking about the Rusty's kit, But how do you guys like the handling of the KJ afterwards? Did it affect the smoothness of the stock ride. My mechanic hates lifts and I like them, I'd just like to know the disadvantages and advantages from experienced owners before I buy. I checked out other discusions for answers just hoping I'd get some new ones! Damn I write alot, anyway hope to hear the input, THANKS !!!!!

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely not as smooth. The springs are a bit stiffer than stock but, really not too bad. I drive some pretty rough roads (dirt and paved) quite regularly and haven't noticed much loss of traction from the suspension being more stiff. It will bounce a little more on severely wash-board roads but, just slow down like you should anyway and it's fine. Turning feels the same as it did when my kj was stock. With the RRO budget lift, I couldn't turn as tightly because things would start binding up and well... it just didn't sound good. One of the first things I did after replacing the budget lift with Rusty's springs/struts was to turn a 360 on a narrow side street... it feels good to have that tight radius back after almost a year of having to do a 3-point turn to do a 180 on that same street.

fdems

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good! Any Tips or add-ons I should get to keep performance top notch. I've read some other posts but still a little confused? ( ie.shocks, tire sizes, best way to widen stance to avoid rollover- rims, back spacing or will stock rims do ) I'm a novice to KJ lifts. Again you're great w/ the help.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket upper control arms (JeepinByAl's or Rusty's) and lower ball joints (Moog K3199), if you can find any. Let me know if you do. They seem to be in very short supply at the moment. I've read that the shocks that come with Rusty's lift aren't all that great so you may want to upgrade those to OMEs. I just left the DT8000s that I got with my RRO budget lift on. They seem to work pretty well. Others here may have better advice about backspacing, wheel spacers, etc. I don't have any exp with any of that stuff so can't help much there. I would think that a 245/75/16 or 245/70/17 should be wide enough, though.