RIP KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the "trail rated" badge was put on the kj it still meant they actually put the vehicle through its paces. Since then it's a piece of trim. At least that's the story I heard. Not saying your Patriot isn't cool.

Oh I totally believe that. The Patriot definitely feels A LOT less sturdy than the KJ.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We looked at 1 Trail Rated Patriot. There are definitely differences. It had skid plates, tow hooks, and more clearance, low crawl mode. We went with a non-trail rated because I found one with really low miles, and the Trail Rated ones are definitely not common.

The Trail Rated ONLY comes with the CVT. It has the Freedom II 4-wheel package versus the Freedom I we got.

I would not fear the CVT. There are a gazillion of these on the road with the CVT. It was tuff enough for rental fleet and the Trail Rated Patriot. Most people with these things just put gas in them and maybe hit jiffy lube one a blue moon. Learn how to maintain your CVT. I believe you can even buy an aftermarket dipstick for it to keep an eye on the fluid. Stay ahead of the fluid change schedule and it will do fine.

Some other Patriot observations since we are on it.

Patriots day to day are a front-wheel drive SUV. This is really different than the Liberty, which is a front weighted rear-wheel drive SUV. It does not slip and spin like the Liberty does when it first starts to rain or the road is a little wet. Front wheel drive really gets better traction for day to day driving. That is one huge difference in how both drive.

Maintenance on the Patriot is a breeze. Easiest spark plug change car ever (and they like basic copper plugs every 30K like the Liberty). My daughter even did the plugs herself (with my supervision).

Forums -- maybe over time it will improve, but with the people around here that have modified, lifted, and maintained their Liberty's, the fund of knowledge here is way higher. They people here really make this forum a great gift.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all in all, the most important thing is your ok. although, i do understand the sadness of saying goodbye to an "old friend". it truly ***** when something that you have put your heart and soul into is taken from you. hopefully, the patriot will eventually be able to be as special to you as the liberty was.

Latest posts

Members online