Riddle me this...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is a good general rule, until you get on a surface with "stuff" all over the trail. Then the skill of the driver (and his spotter) is calculating all the undulations in the path and carefully balancing his tire(s) on the right football sized rocks in an attempt to clear the other 10,000 football sized rocks that the trail is literally made of.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxl-1JHg5Q

Ugly and slow going.

Rock gardens are the best. It is even better when you get your tires placed where you want them and then the rock shifts and you slide off on to other big ass rocks. Even more fun when the rocks are wet. Some of my favorite wheeling and the cause of most of my undercarriage damage :D

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just let them hit
the bottom of my 44 is all scared up
the cover has marks
my fuel tank skid had dents over 2" deep
the Warn trans skid I have has been reshaped to match the line of the
Nth* TT I have it bolted to
my hitch is BENT from dragging
only thing that has been damaged is the drive shafts
both been bent

carry JB weld
spare gear lube
and RTV
when you go to play in the big rocks

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock gardens are the best. It is even better when you get your tires placed where you want them and then the rock shifts and you slide off on to other big ass rocks. Even more fun when the rocks are wet. Some of my favorite wheeling and the cause of most of my undercarriage damage :D
You must be registered for see images

Doesn't look like much but when your actually going up "bowling ball hill" it's real fun without lockers.Every 2 feet forward you roll back 10 feet due to the rocks shifting under you that are moving with the stream that is under them.Fun times on that 1/4 mile long climb:D,it turns right at the top and another long stretch to go.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Doesn't look like much but when your actually going up "bowling ball hill" it's real fun without lockers.Every 2 feet forward you roll back 10 feet due to the rocks shifting under you that are moving with the stream that is under them.Fun times on that 1/4 mile long climb:D,it turns right atWow1.gif the top and another long stretch to go.
I wanna go there!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Doesn't look like much but when your actually going up "bowling ball hill" it's real fun without lockers.Every 2 feet forward you roll back 10 feet due to the rocks shifting under you that are moving with the stream that is under them.Fun times on that 1/4 mile long climb:D,it turns right at the top and another long stretch to go.

Here in Western Washington, a lot of trails are like that. So much so we got tired of wheeling them. Feels like you're going to pee blood your kidneys get so rattled. Now we try to stick to tough trails, but fewer rock-garden varieties. The Jarring just gets old after a while. Plus, you get a break from the constant worry that something's... you know, gonna break.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
If you pee blood from getting pounded in a KJ on any trail, you really have the wrong suspension under your rig.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you pee blood from getting pounded in a KJ on any trail, you really have the wrong suspension under your rig.

Mine's stock. You spend a day pounding football sized rocks, you're gonna feel it. You may not feel it as much with a different suspension, but you're gonna feel it. I was with a guy with a 6" custom lift on his truck, he felt the same way.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha wow:eek:, you know your in for some shit when theres a winch point located conveniently on the trail.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Mine's stock. You spend a day pounding football sized rocks, you're gonna feel it. You may not feel it as much with a different suspension, but you're gonna feel it. I was with a guy with a 6" custom lift on his truck, he felt the same way.

Been on a few trails a bit more raggedy than the one you posted and it was easy going in ThunderbirdJunkie's KJ.

a TJ, CJ, FJ55, etc may be a LITTLE different story ;)