Review: Rick Russell's Off Highway Adventure Videos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been talking about these videos in the vendor section, so I thought that I would review the ones that I have, and as I order them (so be sure to check back). The videos are fun to watch, and I find myself watching them often!

One of my favorite parts of the videos is that Rick Russell always provides the specifications of everyone’s 4x4’s on the trails and along the way.

I've been ordering the videos from All Things Jeep. Note that they offer our members a 10% discount by using the coupon code: "jeepkj-10".

You must be registered for see images

#10 Colorado Trails Vol. One
The built 4x4’s shown on this video are impressive. Not only will they go anywhere, but they don't mind scratching them up and covering them with mud (in and out!). Besides Wranglers, we also see a Bronco (that rolls in the end) and full size trucks.

Volume One starts out with rocky trails and beautiful scenery. Along the way some minor repairs are made, from fixing an air hose to tires and drive-line shafts. There are also water crossing, and crossing drifts of snow that require shoveling, winching, towing, and repeated attempts. They also find Spring mud, and the Bronco also finds a deep water hole to fall into!

On one trail, the group crosses several large Spring snow fields. The snow is 6 to 8 ft. deep, wet, slick, and if a 4x4 slides off the snow, they’ll roll! They air-down their tires and crawl across the snow. My first thought while watching this was how important lockers are for this kind of wheeling. There is one stock TJ that has open differentials, and he has to get towed in places due to spinning his wheels.

#11 Colorado Trails Vol. Two
Volume Two continues with more tough Colorado trails. From rocky, dirt hill climbs, mud pits, big rocks, tight trails with drop offs, the fun continues to the Great Sand Dunes. Along with Wranglers, we also see a 4Runner scrape along over rocks by a lady that does her own wrenching.

Be sure to bring along a spare axle as you watch this video!

#15 Silverton, Colorado
Rick Russell includes mining history of the Silverton area, and tours old mines and ghost towns along the way. Included are mostly stock 4x4's, as all of the roads can be driven by any 4x4 in good weather. Along the way they cross Imogene Pass and the famous Black Bear Pass.

The Tightest Switchback on Black Bear Pass:
You must be registered for see images

Maps are also shown, and a nice Silverton back roads map is included inside the DVD case.

As Russell says, after watching this video, you'll want to plan your own trip (and that is just what I am currently doing!).

#18 Crawling The Rubicon
Wow, what a video!

The Rubicon Trail is something else! Russell mentioned that the Jeep Jamboree was coming through the following weekend from when this was filmed with about 400 Jeeps. It sounds like stock Jeeps are included in the Jamboree, but after seeing this video, it's amazing that even a stock TJ Rubicon would make it over certain parts of the Rubicon Trail. I doubt that I will ever make it to this trail, so this video was fun to watch and share in the experience. The 4x4's that are on this trail include eight Jeeps and two Hummers. The Jeeps are heavily equipped, and it was impressive to see the Hummers on this trail that scratched up their sides.

Reviews to come…
Four Wheeling Basics and Moab Extreme.