Review: Meguire's Ultimate Compound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When I bought my Jeep used in Feb. of 07, there were only two scratches, both on the hood. I had tried to cover them up various waxes, but with little to no luck I gave up.

A few weeks ago in Wal Mart I saw Meg's Ultimate Compound and looked at it. I was a bit concerned, because I had a 96 Jimmy and it was brand new and got a scratch and I used TW compound, and made it worse.

I went to Meg's site and watched the vid of the compound, and was impressed.

With that, I got some and here are the results:

Now my Jeep looks great again!!!! (Not that it didn't before)...:D

Before-
You must be registered for see images attach

After-

You must be registered for see images attach

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a coincidence.. Yesterday I was looking at Turtle Rubbing Compound (red stuff) and I noticed this one right above it and picked up a bottle. Along with a few other meguires stuff.. I also got a bottle of scratch-x for the other areas like doors etc.

Edit: Wow, that's a lot of slippers!!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What a coincidence.. Yesterday I was looking at Turtle Rubbing Compound (red stuff) and I noticed this one right above it and picked up a bottle. Along with a few other meguires stuff.. I also got a bottle of scratch-x for the other areas like doors etc.

Edit: Wow, that's a lot of slippers!!

Never have been a fan of TW products....

Those are the wife's and daughters...:eek::rolleyes::D

Except for the brown flip flops...those are mine...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will check that stuff out. I have seen it before but didn't buy it. I have some light trail rash. About 2 years ago I had some trail rash professionally buffed out but now it has some new rash.......:D

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that stuff is pretty dang good. It uses something called Micro Abrasives which do not leave behind swirls. The longer you work it in the more it will remove scratches.

Rubbing Compound is something that no one should EVER need to use. It should be illegal.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I noticed it said "Clear Coat Safe" on the bottle. Does this mean it doesn't remove clear (but doesn't it have to??)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubbing Compound is something that no one should EVER need to use. It should be illegal.

I was going to use it on my bumper, I figured the harsher it is, the easier it will be to remove those nasty smears. Do you think this one is strong enough for that? At least to take the bulk of it away?
I will use scratch-x on my hood as well, or should i use the U.C. there as well and return Scratch-X.

PS: I still have the tiny little can of black paint I picked up at the dealer to touch up a chip I had. Should I just roll the paint on that gangster sign on my hood, wait for a day and follow up with scratch-x to even it out?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Just try buffing it first with swirl and scratch remover...what have you got to loose. Try and get a couple coats of touch up paint if you go that way. Smooth in between coats.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just try buffing it first with swirl and scratch remover...what have you got to loose. Try and get a couple coats of touch up paint if you go that way. Smooth in between coats.

x2!!!

Hyed, do you have a buffer???

Mopar4L1fe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart has one...Mopar4L1fe has it....shoot him a PM....:D

The buffer I bought was $19.99 at Walmart. It's a small orange buffer with red and black trim on it. You can't miss it... shoot me a PM if you want more info and/or pics...

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you remove a scratch you remove the clear around the scratch so that the clear around the scratch becomes level with the scratch. Clear coat safe means that its safe to use on clear coat.

Hyedipin, with the touch up paint, you could try that but most likely you will be able to see where you touched it up. It should only look better if you are very careful and only touch up the scratch. Dont get touch up paint on the paint around the scratch.

Ive seen threads where people touched up scratches then wet sanded the area so the touch up was level with the paint around it. Once they polished the wet sanding out it looked pretty good.