Reverse rear view mirror tilt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midrider

Reaction score
Can the dealer recode the 2008 liberty to have its outside mirrors tilt when backing up so you can see the curb better? This features available on the SRT 8 Grand Cherokees

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but there is an easy solution. Go and get 2 of those small round blind spot mirrors. Wallymart had the adjustable ones for a couple of dollars for a pair of them. They work great for seeing the curb as well as any vehicle coming up beside you.

If you get them you will see how much easier and safer it is driving and parking.

Just a thought,

Dave

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but there is an easy solution. Go and get 2 of those small round blind spot mirrors. Wallymart had the adjustable ones for a couple of dollars for a pair of them. They work great for seeing the curb as well as any vehicle coming up beside you.

If you get them you will see how much easier and safer it is driving and parking.

Just a thought,

Dave

I couldn't agree more. Blind-spot mirrors are the first things I put on a new vehicle. They really should be standard equipment.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Midrider,
Someone drives a lexus too much. :)
I never liked that feature. If I need to see the curb, I just stick my neck out and see. I am sure there can be an overwrite or a module that can do this, but it will be aftermarket.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
No,the KK is not a SRT Grand,different BCM's.
This was still a good question though. :)

Hi Midrider,
Someone drives a lexus too much. :)
I never liked that feature. If I need to see the curb, I just stick my neck out and see. I am sure there can be an overwrite or a module that can do this, but it will be aftermarket.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I don't like the way the mirrors tilt, BUT those backup cameras ARE useful... some of these cars these days, it is almost impossible to tell where the actual rear end of the car is...
Plus they let you see where you're rear tires are when you're backing up on that really narrow trail that you don't want to fall off :eek:

I take it you know from experience? lol3.gif

therock2

Reaction score
If you have the MyGIG® Multimedia System with GPS Navigation feature the service dept. at your local Jeep dealership can activate it for you. I just recently purchased an '08 Liberty and when I got it home I realized that the video playback feature for the DVD system while in PARK was disabled. I could hear the audio but there was no video. When I took it back to the dealer to correct this issue he was able to turn on the feature of tilting the mirrors down when the vehicle is moved into REVERSE. I have since added small blind spot mirrors as well.

Gimme Liberty

Reaction score
If you have the MyGIG® Multimedia System with GPS Navigation feature the service dept. at your local Jeep dealership can activate it for you. I just recently purchased an '08 Liberty and when I got it home I realized that the video playback feature for the DVD system while in PARK was disabled. I could hear the audio but there was no video. When I took it back to the dealer to correct this issue he was able to turn on the feature of tilting the mirrors down when the vehicle is moved into REVERSE. I have since added small blind spot mirrors as well.

Sorry - maybe I misread. Are you saying the dealer was able to

- enable video playback on the MyGig itself when driving
- enable the side mirrors to tilt when the vehicle is in REVERSE

I have never heard of either being possible, and I'm a little skeptical, but I would love to be proven wrong. Could you give us an idea where you are? I would think every Jeep dealer would be very careful about enabling a device which might be against local laws, but that would depend on where you live obviously. I'm referring to the MyGig video while driving option. I was under the impression this was disabled by the manufacturer and was not a simple flip of the switch. I know there was a workaround where you could start the video in park, push a couple of buttons and then put the vehicle and gear and it would work, but even that has been removed with the latest updates from the manufacturer.

But I've been wrong before, and I'd love to be wrong again! Curious to hear more details!

Last edited:

therock2

Reaction score
Sorry for any confusion. I am located in Phoenix, AZ.

- enable video playback on the MyGig itself when driving---No.

The video will only play when the vehicle is in PARK, which is the law in Arizona also. For some reason, while in PARK, the video was completely disabled from the factory. The service advisor was able to turn the video on so I could see the video ONLY while in PARK.

- enable the side mirrors to tilt when the vehicle is in REVERSE---Yes.

The service advisor was able to turn this feature on as well. I didn't even know this was an option until he mentioned that it was disabled so I had him turn it on. This feature is not against the law. Works great!

I hope this answers your questions.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be an update since the early days of the KJ. In older Chrysler vehicles, the mirror tilt feature was provided by the seat-memory module for those who had it installed. It's the system that "knows" which driver is using the vehicle by the keyfob he's carrying. When you unlock the car, the electronics would adjust the seats, mirrors, radio presets, etc. to your settings.

If that's an update, it's certainly a welcome one.

Gimme Liberty

Reaction score
Very cool - thanks for the information. On the mirror tilt, I assume once the dealer turns it on they are the only ones who can turn it off?

I've never had this on any other vehicle and so far I've managed to reverse okay. Having it might be great, but it could also be annoying and I might regret having it turned on. It'd be great if I could choose to enable or disable it myself. But if not, oh well.

Thanks for the info. Strange that I haven't heard a thing about it anywhere else. I wonder what other secrets lie hidden in this little beast! ;)