Reupholstering My Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had been wanted to recover my seats since I got my Liberty in June. Since my liberty used to be an enterprise rent-a-car the covers weren't in the greatest shape. Last week at work (I work at an automotive seating distribution center) while digging through rolls of fabric for some other job, I found this awesome blue material that will match my exterior blue perfectly. My boss said he didn't even know why we had that material or what it was for and that it was mine. :big_banana_Dance: I ripped out my passenger seat faster than I knew I could. Here's some pics of my little reupholstery project so far. More will be posted as I go.

You must be registered for see images attach

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I know nothing about upholstery so it's interesting to see.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no clue about upholstery. I'd like to see pics of the project as you complete it.

Jeffrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't either, I work in shipping/packaging but my first sewing machine lesson is later today lol

Jeffrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the original material had a foam backing, I needed to replicate that thickness with the new material. I had to sew each piece to a layer of foam.

Here is a close up of the pattern on the material.

After a few weeks of frustration :disgust: I was ready to call it quits.:flamingdevil: Sewing is not easy! I finally got the front seats finished. I also added seat heaters while I had the seats apart.

The front Before and After

The back Before and After with added pocket.

Now I have to figure out how to get the back seat out of the car so I can get that started.:rofl:

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice!

How did you get the right cuts/sizes of material? Did you just trace the old seat fabric? I can see this being an interesting future project for me :)

Jeffrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice!

How did you get the right cuts/sizes of material? Did you just trace the old seat fabric? I can see this being an interesting future project for me :)

yup once you remove the old cover you have to slice it at all the seams and trace each piece, then put it back together.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup once you remove the old cover you have to slice it at all the seams and trace each piece, then put it back together.

Sounds deceivingly easy. The end result is pretty good, sir.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

uscgbazz

Reaction score
WOW!!!! Those seats look great!! Even added the rear map pocket that they seem to have forgotten from the factory. Awesome job!!

mcseforsale

Reaction score
Cool...very cool. Thought about painting/dying the plastic on the bottom? You could either do RIT dye (in boiling water), or the duplicolor spray...

AJ

Jeffrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no i like the grey contrast plus i found these awesome matching blue temp knobs and seat recliner knobs online. I know i could probably recolor them myself paint or dye but im lazy and i have christmas money lol