Request: How To Clean the Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtalef

Reaction score
I couldn't find a how to on this and I probably should try and clean mine out. Is there anyone here that can offer up a "how to" or give me some pointers?

I'm sure it's not rocket science but, a little good advice can go a long way.

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '02 I unclamped the intake air tube at the throttle body and sprayed with carb cleaner until shiny and clean. Of course it takes a few extra cranks of the engine the first time after to get it started again.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually just pull the intake tube off, and then start it up and shoot some carb cleaner or some sorts in there till its cleaned out. It will bog the engine down a little bit, but I just do it gently, and everything is fine. Then shut it off and stick the tube back on.

Good luck

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A paper towel, some STP throttle bottle cleaner, and a toothbrush go a long way \:D/

carlomencucci

Reaction score
Does anyone know why carbon builds up on the throttle body? Are the intake valves still open during the exhaust stroke letting carbon build up under the throttle plate?
Thanks.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GUMOUT

I used a bottle of that stuff complete fuel system cleaner.. have 17k miles on my 2005.. it's now getting 23mpg highway.. I NEVER saw that mileage before..

FYI, I'll be selling this LOADED JEEP LIMITED all factory options.. NAV/CHROME etc.. going to get a LR2 this spring. want something a little more polished.. ALL OFFERS CONSIDERED

Silver/grey leather