replacing water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danalba

Reaction score
can someone explain to me how to remove the electric fan with the fan clutch together. no idea how to get them out at the same time. i have the fan clutch wrench set from auto zone but cant figure out where to place the pieces to do this. someone help.

Last edited:

wolverine1020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you have to line up the nipples (thats what I call them) on the wrench with the holes on the front of the clutch.

Not sure if that helps much.

Danalba

Reaction score
i think i got the wrong wrench set. they gave me one for a car with a water pump pulley that has bolts. i think i need a wrench that is like a Y with two nipples on the end to shove in those holes so i can hold that while turning the bolt. hah so simple idk why i didnt think of that. helped alot. thanks man

wolverine1020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of buying one, see if local friendly mechanic will let you borrow one, leave a credit card or something.
Thats what me and a bud did for his Ram.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you talking about the shroud with the fan in it? There's a screw on each side and the whole thing lifts out once you've disconnected the wire harness and figured the bottom clips on on each side. Then the water pump has something like 8 bolts then the whole thing just pops off.
Here's the How-To thanks to JNaut
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44066

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confrused here, do you have a mechanical fan? If you don't, and you go to the link BjBnet left (thanks for the props) you shouldn't need to remove the fan shroud at all. Unless they radically changed the fan shroud after 2004. What year is your Jeep?

But your post indicated you do have the mechanical fan. Again, check my how-to out and while there is minimal information (I don't have the mechanical fan), it gives the actual spanner wrench specs and rough instructions to remove.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way I would be able to replace the water pump on my 04 without taking the shroud off. I do not have the engine driven fan but the shroud goes all the way back to the engine.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way I would be able to replace the water pump on my 04 without taking the shroud off. I do not have the engine driven fan but the shroud goes all the way back to the engine.

Wha?!! Did they change fan shrouds halfway through the production year? My '04 jeep fan shroud is about 2" deep?

Here's an '06 engine bay which is almost exactly like mine. Note the significant amount of working room.

You must be registered for see images

edit:

But check this out. This picture claims to be the engine bay of an '04 limited:

Now it looks like they actually did change the fan shroud part way through the production year... what's everyone make of this?

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wha?!! Did they change fan shrouds halfway through the production year? My '04 jeep fan shroud is about 2" deep?

Here's an '06 engine bay which is almost exactly like mine. Note the significant amount of working room.

edit:

But check this out. This picture claims to be the engine bay of an '04 limited:

Now it looks like they actually did change the fan shroud part way through the production year... what's everyone make of this?

My 04 looks like the first pic. are you sure the second pic doesn't have the mechanical fan?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 looks like the first pic. are you sure the second pic doesn't have the mechanical fan?

I'm not sure at all. Is that the difference? Chrysler sold a larger shroud with factory-installed mechanical fans?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dudes, I've got the HD cooling with the engine driven fan. The fan has to come out before the shroud will come out with the electric fan in it. It's a PITA and does require the 32mm(?) thin wrench.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is that monster shroud is ugly... it blocks off pretty much everything on the front of the block. Man, what, when you change your oil I guess you come up from below to change the filter? How uncivilized.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jnaut, you shoulda seen my knuckles after I changed the serpentine belt out. Serious gymnastics getting it over the fan and around the pulleys.

And um yeah, oil filter gets pulled from underneath, just like the drain plug.:freak3:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is that monster shroud is ugly... it blocks off pretty much everything on the front of the block. Man, what, when you change your oil I guess you come up from below to change the filter? How uncivilized.

Ive thought the same thing about those with the smaller shroud. Makes the engine look very small with a wee little tiny baby fan. Plus if I want to get the mechanical fan, given it works with my electric fan, all Ive got to do is buy the clutch and fan blades.

Yes, Ive got to crawl under it to get to the oil filter. Also gotta crawl under it to get to the drain plug so it doesnt really matter.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because I've never suffered the indignity of changing my filter from below (what's next, drinking beer directly from the can?!!) I don't know how hard it is. It's up above that cross member and the little oil spillway thingamabobber? The drain plug is easy because it's right down there in front of god and everyone. Kind of like milking a cow. Not that I would ever touch a farm animal...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, and your fan shroud has the "Light of God" feature on it. I want one of those.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, I put that in. My business is Advanced-led.ca for Canehdian customers, or you can reach Mike at bluewaterled.com for US customers and tell him I sent you. It's a 30 LED strip and it's been in there for almost 2 years now. I was concerned with the heat it may not last but the only thing that happened is the silicon casing has yellowed a bit but the light output is the same. All waterproof.
I put 2 strips, one on the shroud and the other at the back as you can see.
Now back to the water pump topic lol
It's interesting to see there are 2 different shroud types for the same year, do you guys know which is the latest, the wide one or the other?

Last edited: