Replacing oil filter '04 3.7 V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanna change the oil on the vehicle but it looks like it is a pain to change out the oil filter because the belt system and electric fan are in the way.

Some images of my what I am seeing can be seen at URLS below.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Haven't had time to get under the vehicle and see what its like from under. What is the most feasible way of changing this filter? How do yall other DIY'ers go about changing replacing the filter when chaning the oil?

Reaction score
I find it really easy to change the oil filter on mine, I just reach down from the top to take it off and pull it out, same thing with putting the new one in do everything from the top.

jmnetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the oil filter from the underside - had to go get a filter wrench to pull it out because it was in there really tight but other than that it really was pretty easy to get to. From the top I really couldn't reach it, but it could be just because mine has the larger HD shroud.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the HD cooling you need to change it from underneith. You need to get underneith th drain the oil anyway.

I put a rag under the filter to catch spilled oil. Use a cap type filter adapter that snaps into a ratchet (I use a stubby ratchet) and loosen it and then spin it off by hand and turn it upright to stop/minimize spillage. If I spill some oil I wipe out the oil spill funnel underneith the filter. It's not hard. After you do it a couple of times you will get the hang of it with minimal spillage.

I see you are in Upstate NY anywhere in Saratoga County I could show you.

Welcome to the forum jimbrown.

Dave

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all responses. Dave, I am actually on the island 30 mins from NYC. I really appreciate that you'd be willing to do that though.

I am not familiar with HD cooling, can you explain what that is. The fan, radiator and other cooling system components should all stock parts.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all responses. Dave, I am actually on the island 30 mins from NYC. I really appreciate that you'd be willing to do that though.

I am not familiar with HD cooling, can you explain what that is. The fan, radiator and other cooling system components should all stock parts.

So you are down near the zoo......I am 4 hours north of the zoo.

Anyway, basicly the HD cooling is an extra fan and larger schroud so you can't get to the oil filter from the top easily. Easier from the bottom with the HD cooling.

Dave

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see. I think the best way to do it is over the top with the cap adapater and ratchet. Thanks again for the suggestion and friendly welcome. I look forward to posting in the future.

Tungsten

Reaction score
I have a 04 Jeep Liberty Sport, 3.7L... Just changed it about a month ago. Changing the oil filter meant getting dirty under the vehicle, and like suggested using a cap type filter wrench to take it off..

Word of advice... DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the Oil Filter when replacing it. This is not good!!! I just hand tightened mine, and then about a 1/4 turn with the ratchet/filter wrencn is enough...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wanna change the oil on the vehicle but it looks like it is a pain to change out the oil filter because the belt system and electric fan are in the way.

Some images of my what I am seeing can be seen at URLS below.

Haven't had time to get under the vehicle and see what its like from under. What is the most feasible way of changing this filter? How do yall other DIY'ers go about changing replacing the filter when chaning the oil?

First if you get a lift it makes it way easier to change the oil, draining it and also removing the filter. Don't have to jack it up any, just roll under. Then remove filter from the bottom like all have suggested
BUT main thing is getting the lift and larger tires :shrug::whip::happy175: