Replacing AC compressor clutch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Think I found the source of my rattling noise. Cycled the AC on and off and the noise stopped whenever it was on. Could this be the AC clutch failing? Or something in the compressor? AC works perfect and the noise goes away after warming up. Thanks.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A/c clutch is a common failure point. Mine went and I monkeyed with adjusting the clutch/banging on it which helped moderately for a short period of time. Ended up just replacing the compressor, all a/c lines, refrigerant, etc. for $800. Money well spent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike205

Reaction score
Mine started making noise and the compressor went out shortly afterwards. If you have AC gauges hook them up and see what the pressures are doing while the noise is going. If not see if you can get a free diagnosis

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How do I measure the clutch gap? Also sounds like it could be coming from the alternator. Bought a stethoscope too. The clutch disengages and engages when the AC is on. Is that normal?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's close to winter so the ambient temp is a lot lower so I would expect the clutch to cycle on and off to protect the system.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
With Ac on,normal for The clutch to cycle on and off.
You use feeler gauges to measure the air gap .
This video shows air gap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqp9IJ2ivl4
The proper way is to use feeler gauges and check Jeep specs which are: The AC gap required is 0.0169 - 0.0319"
Sounds like it may be the ALT if you are hearing the noise from the alt using stethoscope...

Last edited: