Replaced headlight bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No biggie. First one took 10 minutes to get it installed......second one took 30 seconds.

Basically, when installing the new bulb, it is easiest to pop the bulb in the headlight housing first (the rubber o-ring on the bulb will hold it in place) then install the lock-ring, then push on the electrical socket.

The first bulb I installed, I tried to install the bulb, lock-ring and wire socket all as one unit.......it was difficult lining up the bulb with the hole and simultaneously lining up the lock ring tabs while maneuvering the wire socket around in such a confined area.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not hard, once you've replaced them before. Were you a headlight bulb replacement virgin? ;)
Since you were giving a how-to, what you didn't mention is to not touch the glass part with your bare hands, as the oils from your skin can create hot spots and shorten the bulbs life.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not hard, once you've replaced them before. Were you a headlight bulb replacement virgin? ;)
Since you were giving a how-to, what you didn't mention is to not touch the glass part with your bare hands, as the oils from your skin can create hot spots and shorten the bulbs life.

I wear gloves when I do headlight bulb changes. Sometimes I've heard but don't endorse that its never a bad idea to take an alcohol wipe to the bulbs as well just to be sure when you install them.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wear gloves when I do headlight bulb changes. Sometimes I've heard but don't endorse that its never a bad idea to take an alcohol wipe to the bulbs as well just to be sure when you install them.

And some folks jack their vehicle up, just a certain way, just to make sure they get 12 more drops of oil out at change time. Neither procedure's really necessary.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been changing H-bulbs since they first went in use, knew from shop specialty magazines the requirement not to handle. Haven't damaged one yet. But then, I can't do a proper job of scratching my **** with gloves on.

Bob