Answer Me This: LED Headlight Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjw3cma

Reaction score
Went to install the new LED headlight bulbs after doing the fog lamps earlier without a hiccup. Then I run into this: How in the heck does one get the lock ring onto the LED bulb? With the wires coming out of the side to the connector I can't get the lock ring installed.

I went and searched headlight installation, found a great video using a JEEP Liberty and THEN saw that the guy NEVER installed the lock ring when he showed how bright the bulb was. You can see it sitting on the bumper underneath the headlight (hass-roll).

HELP. Any suggestions?
You must be registered for see images attach

cjw3cma

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED: Wrote to the supplier of the LED headlight bulb and they replied with an attachment titled SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS. Nothing was included with the original purchase so there was no way to know -

Check out this in case you run into the same situation -
You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ That is interesting...
Can you post some night photos close to a wall or garage door, & then one further back, so we can see how much light they throw...

cjw3cma

Reaction score
^ That is interesting...
Can you post some night photos close to a wall or garage door, & then one further back, so we can see how much light they throw...
Will do - as soon as my hands work again (too dang cold for these old mitts to get the job done).

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LED lights that came out following HID were garbage. Chances are even the cheapest ones now are brighter and throw light further then oem. And before Tom says he’s never had an issue with OEM- I just prefer a look of a newer vehicle on the road and looking down the road compared to dingy yellow white

I use jdm astar. Pricey but 3 years now and going strong

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If and when my piaa headlight bulbs die, my next bulbs would be ZXE by Silvania.
They are really white xenon filled and throw really well.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to say this but refrained. Really wish they would fine people with blinding headlights.
Have 3 people I pass every morning when I decide to work that runs them stupid LEDs, and yes one has a KJ, they sort of dislike Vision X cannons when I hit them

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The LED lights that came out following HID were garbage. Chances are even the cheapest ones now are brighter and throw light further then oem. And before Tom says he’s never had an issue with OEM- I just prefer a look of a newer vehicle on the road and looking down the road compared to dingy yellow white

LOL :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking of converting your halogen headlamps to HID or LED? ITs A BIG NO NO

Good HID and LED headlamps are terrific; they can offer excellent safety performance and driver comfort, but only if they're designed and built from the start as HID or LED headlamps. Installing an "HID kit" or "LED bulbs" in a halogen headlamp isn't an upgrade, it's a large and serious safety downgrade.

So you've read about HID and LED headlamps—maybe you've driven a car equipped with them—and now you want to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found dozens of outfits offering to sell you an "HID kit" or a set of "LED bulbs" that will fit right in place of your car's halogen bulbs. Sounds great, right? It's not. STOP! Put away that credit card.

This article primarily discusses the problems with "HID kits", but the concept and most of the issues apply equally to the "LED bulbs" now flooding the market. Like "HID kits", they are not a legitimate, safe, effective, or legal product. No matter whose name is on them or what the vendor claims, they are a fraudulent scam. They are not capable of producing the right amount of light in the right distribution pattern for the lamp's optics to work. The particular details of the incompatibility are different for LED vs. HID, but the principles and problems are the same overall. In one sentence: halogen headlamps must use halogen bulbs or they don't—can't—won't work effectively, safely, or legally.

An "HID kit" or "LED conversion" consists of HID ballasts and bulbs (or "LED bulbs") for retrofitting into a halogen headlamp. Kits for replacement of standard round or rectangular sealed-beam headlamps usually include a poor-quality replaceable-bulb headlight lens-reflector unit that's not safe or legal even when equipped with the intended (usually H4) halogen bulb. Often, these products are advertised using the name of a reputable lighting company ("Real Philips kit! Real Osram kit! Real Hella kit! Real Cree LEDs!", etc) to try to give the potential buyer the illusion of legitimacy. On rare occasion, some of the components in these kits did start out as legitimate HID headlight bulbs made by reputable companies, but they are modified (hacked) by the "HID kit" suppliers, and they aren't being put to their designed or intended use. Reputable companies like Philips, Osram, Hella, etc. never endorse this kind of hacked usage of their products. Nevertheless, it's easy to get "HID kits" from China bearing the (unauthorised, counterfeit) brands of major, reputable companies. See this page for just a few examples of the many packaging options offered by just one Chinese maker of "HID kits".

Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.

FROM danielsternlighting

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Been running low profile cheapest eBay LED bulbs in all my vehicles for years and when properly adjusted inside the headlight housing as well as properly aimed they blow everything out of the water brightness and durability wise per $$$dollar spent. Most nights I don't even have to use the light bar.

Only real downside is that they draw so much less power and emit so much less heat that driving in colder climates headlight lenses freeze over.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score

Aceofspades,

Tom does have an issue with OEM, look at his profile picture, his KJ has more lights on it than all my 5 vehicles combined, LOL!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Aceofspades,

Tom does have an issue with OEM, look at his profile picture, his KJ has more lights on it than all my 5 vehicles combined, LOL!
LOL that is a 10 year old picture that is on my profile, my 2004 I bought new
Set that up back in 2005 , and was used 4 times at the most until I sold rack, lights etc to a buddy , 10 years ago
Only stock headlights on the 04 now
Now on the 03, Vision X Light Cannons for long distance and just Phillips Extreme in the stock housings , will NEVER run those cheap LEDs in stock housing cause they do not work
Maybe you have ran them in other vehicles but they do not do anything but blow out light everywhere in the KJ housings
But since you are still a KJ newbie I'll let you pass for now

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
LOL that is a 10 year old picture that is on my profile, my 2004 I bought new
Set that up back in 2005 , and was used 4 times at the most until I sold rack, lights etc to a buddy , 10 years ago
Only stock headlights on the 04 now
Now on the 03, Vision X Light Cannons for long distance and just Phillips Extreme in the stock housings , will NEVER run those cheap LEDs in stock housing cause they do not work
Maybe you have ran them in other vehicles but they do not do anything but blow out light everywhere in the KJ housings
But since you are still a KJ newbie I'll let you pass for now

tommudd,

I missed you bumping my thread last couple weeks, welcome back!

This KJ newbie spent less on his KJ than a seasoned pro on a pair of driving lights, let that one sink in for a few moments!

Don't even get me started on running 10!!! lights on a KJ and only using them 4 times, sounds legit.

Phillips Extreme are great bulbs, I prefer the non rebadged Chinese versions, run them in my M3 and 528i, got 20 of them for $15 shipped 7 or so years ago, only replaced 3 out of 8 since.

Cheers!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheap is expensive, translated for you from an old Swahili saying
20 for 15 maybe a good deal for some, but I would rather have something that I know and trust
and I never bumped any of your threads the last two weeks, since yesterday was the first time I have been on a computer in 3 weeks, nor will I now when I am back in the USA !!;)
took a quick little trip over the ocean blue
Trying to buy my final retirement home ;)

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine were expensive because the led chip array was aligned to simulate the exact position of the filament of the halogen bulb. You can also clock the bulb too (which I had to do as well)
What I miss out on is high beam. That’s the downside I’ll be facing as we use the same bulb for both. The led tries to compensate for this by illuminating a couple extra chips on the bulb.