Replace water pump or water pump and fan clutch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m going to hopefully get around to replacing the leaking water pump on my ‘06. It has the HD cooling. The fan clutch seems fine but I’m wondering if I should replace it with the water pump now or just wait until it actually gives me a problem. Just replacing what should be while I have the system drained. I’ll be doing pump thermostat hoses and belt so far. Any thoughts?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe I would replace it but I watch the temps very closely. I would know when it was going bad before it was an issue.

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my Water Pump job (I have HD Cooling too) ... I replaced the pump, thermo, thermo housing, upper hose, lower hose, tensioner, & belt. I didn't bother replacing the fan clutch.

Be prepared to spit out a few words when getting it all out of there ~ and watch for pitting on the timing cover mating surface.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my Water Pump job (I have HD Cooling too) ... I replaced the pump, thermo, thermo housing, upper hose, lower hose, tensioner, & belt. I didn't bother replacing the fan clutch.

Be prepared to spit out a few words when getting it all out of there ~ and watch for pitting on the timing cover mating surface.
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like you need to remove the mechanical fan and clutch from the water pump and pull them out with the fan shroud, is this correct?

Yetiboy01

Reaction score
Thats correct, all come out together unless you have done a fan shroud mod, I would replace the fan clutch with a Hayden Automotive 2905 Premium Fan Clutch, they are cheap & work so much better than the standard clutch, only $57 from Amazon, the standard clutch wont be performing like it should if it has many miles on it.