Replace headlight bulb, now rear turn signal burns out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the right (passenger) side headlight bulb in my daughters 06 Liberty and verified working fine. She called me later to say her turn signal was blinking real fast when using the right turn signal. I asked to her check to see if bulb was out and she confirmed right rear bulb out. She lives 90 minutes away, so I suggested she go to the local shop and have them replace the bulb. They did and confirmed working and she was on her way. Few miles down the road, bulb went out again. So it sounds like an obvious short. Is there any relationship to the wiring in the front right headlight to the right rear turn signal? Prior to replacing her bulb, her turn signal worked fine. I hate chasing electrical problems, so hoping someone with experience has a good approach to this one.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The affected sockets should be inspected for corrosion or looking quite burnt.
I generally spray with a contact cleaner and use a fine emerory cloth to clean socket if possible.
Also even a new bulb can be faulty so have few on hand, to test.
I would have thought that a bad short would also cause a blown fuse.

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have an 06 Liberty and know as a fact that the socket assemblies on the rear of this model are prone to corrosion.. The lamp/bulb is accessed by removing the tail light assembly... Then you turn the tail light counter clockwise to remove the socket/bulb assembly... This assembly and also the contacts on the tail light assembly do corrode... Like the last poster said you need to clean them to show shiny metal and then add a corrosion inhibitor like silicon grease to the clean contacts to keep oxygen from starting the corrosion all over...
The socket/lamp assembly also can go bad/intermittent and should be available at you chrysler jeep dealership...

see...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tail-Light...e:Jeep&hash=item2a76b6eadd:g:wq0AAOSwceZcpcGC

The picture shows some bright brass contacts both inside where the lamp fits and outside where this assembly turns into the tail light assy...
Dave

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. I will inspect, clean and use some silicone grease to protect when she brings her car back. Just seemed like an odd coincidence that this occurred after I replaced her light bulb. Hopefully nothing more than a coincidence.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A single turn signal will flash rapidly on one side of the Jeep if its partner bulb has blown or has a bad contact.
So it has nothing to do with a short.....will be a bad contact to the non-flashing bulb or a bad ground to that bulb.

So both front and rear bulb holders need to have their contacts cleaned and sometimes the contacts melt into the holders so they no longer make good contact.

Weird that working on the front headlight beam blows the rear turn bulb.:confused: