Renegade/Factory Roof Lightbar Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stainless

Reaction score
I stumbled across one of the stock lightbars in a junkyard the other day, and snapped it up immediately. It's a little beat up, so I'm thinking of sanding and painting it to cover up some of the imperfections.

Has anyone ever seen one painted before? I know Krylon Fusion is supposed to the best for plastics, but I'm a little worried about the heat from the 55 watt bulbs.

I couldn't help noticing that these things are listed between $200-400 on Ebay. Those of you that have the factory lightbar -- Given the choice, would you keep it or upgrade to an LED lightbar?

The headlights actually seem pretty decent... I could probably just get away with replacing the factory fogs with some good LED pods, or get a big hunk of aluminum bar and put four pods up top to have a similar look.

Any comments are appreciated -- Thanks!
-Al.

Stainless

Reaction score
Custom light bar?

A bar of .5"x 5" x 4' 6061 Aluminum is only about $60. If I rounded out the front to match the curve of the windshield, and put another $60 worth of LED lights up top, I could probably mount it with cheap lightbar brackets.

You must be registered for see images
[/URL][/IMG]

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my wife wants the factory one for her KJ. we have the Renegade Roof Rack and she says it looks weird without the lightbar. There will always be a demand for both aftermarket LED lightbars and the Renegade style. On my XJ, I would rather have the aftermarket 2 row curved LED light bar.

If you like the look of the Renegade light bar, but want better performance - you could always replace the 4 bulbs with LEDs.

I have not seen a painted Renegade light bar, but I have seen several post about people painting them. If you search, you'll probably find someone who has or hopefully they see your post and can answer that part of your question.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I stumbled across one of the stock lightbars in a junkyard the other day, and snapped it up immediately. It's a little beat up, so I'm thinking of sanding and painting it to cover up some of the imperfections.

Has anyone ever seen one painted before? I know Krylon Fusion is supposed to the best for plastics, but I'm a little worried about the heat from the 55 watt bulbs.

I couldn't help noticing that these things are listed between $200-400 on Ebay. Those of you that have the factory lightbar -- Given the choice, would you keep it or upgrade to an LED lightbar?

The headlights actually seem pretty decent... I could probably just get away with replacing the factory fogs with some good LED pods, or get a big hunk of aluminum bar and put four pods up top to have a similar look.

Any comments are appreciated -- Thanks!
-Al.

Did you get everything? bracket/ mounting pad, wiring etc?
Some people like the Rene light bar, so if you like it install it

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I painted mine, I think with the Fuzion, can't remember exactly. Anyway, I did it in satin black. It did seem to dull a bit more over time though. Did it about 6 or so months ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stainless

Reaction score
It's almost all there. I found it in the back of a bar-less Liberty while I was looking for a better tailgate cover panel, so there was no external wiring or switch. The internals are all there, the wiring is good right up to the connector, and it's got the foam pad on the bottom.

Three of the four screws that hold it together are missing, but I'm told they can be ordered. The light covers are gone, but I'd never have used them anyways.

Stainless

Reaction score
That looks great! I was thinking about gloss black, or maybe even the Graphite to match my flares, but I think that satin finish will hide better.