removing the bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i have a project coming up that involves removing the bumper.
How do i get it off? I have an 05 sport. i have never dealt with plastic rivets before. i also need to remove the grill as well. so how do i get those rivets off and then how do i put them back on? is there anything else to removing the turn signals besides that one screw on the outside?

thanks for the help.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks that will help a lot. now how do i remove the grill?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the grill just clipped on? I've got an 05, but it's a Renegade...maybe they're different?

I just found out yesterday...just popped open the hood and saw the clips (or latches...whatever) across the top of the grill.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes i have seen those tabs across the top. no screws or anything along the bottom?

DJBassman

Reaction score
fasto82 said:
Yes i have seen those tabs across the top. no screws or anything along the bottom?

No, it just clips on the bottom. Take the top off and lean it forward and it will come off. I have a 06 and installed the fog lights, which menat I had to take it off. it is easy.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good. thanks alot it sounds super easy. this thing is so easy to work on i love it. the only hatred i have is those plastic rivets. i cant seem to find a place that sells the rivets or the gun for them. please help!

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2002, there are 4 T-15 hex screws on the top of the grille and one for each signal. Then it should come out. As for the rivets i believe they are 1/4x1" rivets. Just use a drill to take them out and a hammer to put new ones in. I don't think you need a rivet gun.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fasto82 said:
sounds good. thanks alot it sounds super easy. this thing is so easy to work on i love it. the only hatred i have is those plastic rivets. i cant seem to find a place that sells the rivets or the gun for them. please help!
If you have a NAPA in town they should carry them, or you may have to go to the dealer. To put them in just use the plier/vise-grip combo like it mentions in the directions in the link. Thats the way I did it and it was no problem at all.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey i finally got around to removing the bumper and let me tell you it is totally different on the 2005 model. and no one in the scranton area seems to carry those rivets. the dealership only had 4 on hand. ill give further details some other time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.