Removing seized 02 3.7 engine with torque converter attached

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my motor went kaboom and seized - assuming major internal damage. I'm working on pulling it but can't get to the torque converter bolts since I can't rotate the engine. I realize I can probably remove the transmission and transfer case first but would rather not go there if I don't have to. Without removing the transmission, is there enough clearance when removing the motor to pull it with the torque converter attached to the flex plate? Last time I pulled this engine the motor mounts didn't allow much wiggle room so I figure I should just remove them to make things easier / possible. Will that be enough to make this work? Has anyone else done this?

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did this, I had to remove at least one of the motor mounts. I might have even removed both of them. It was a while ago. I remember it being a hassle. Swear words were involved.....

Good Luck!

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did this, I had to remove at least one of the motor mounts. I might have even removed both of them. It was a while ago. I remember it being a hassle. Swear words were involved.....

Good Luck!
Thanks Dougmac. I've got everything disconnected and will hopefully get it out today. I figure I'll remove both mounts just to make sure I can pull straight forward and not put the transmission input shaft under any stress. I've got a very long list of swear words prepped and plan to use every one :)

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it! Definitely need to remove the motor mounts from the block when doing this and protect your radiator since the motor needs to come that much further forward with the torque converter hanging off the back. Also don't forget an oil drain pan since the TC will dump some fluid (probably a pint in my case).

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
Thanks Dougmac. I've got everything disconnected and will hopefully get it out today. I figure I'll remove both mounts just to make sure I can pull straight forward and not put the transmission input shaft under any stress. I've got a very long list of swear words prepped and plan to use every one :)
How did that go?

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have to drop the oil pan to gain access to where the rod bearings are attached to the crank... removing them should free up the crank/flexplate and allow you to turn the flexplate to gain access to the bolts...

Latest posts