remote starter poor range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
This past weekend I installed a remote car starter made my Design Tech. It works great other than the range. I doesn't have near the range it should. It's supposed to have up to 1000 foot range, but I'm lucky if I'm getting 100 feet.
My sister also has a KJ with a Design Tech remote car starter and she's had poor range on her KJ since it was installed. I'm wondering if there is something with these vehicles that prohibit the range from traveling thru the passenger's compartment. My antenna is installed horizontally behind the rear view mirrow, just below the windshield black out paint.

Any thought how I could improve my range?

Big A

Reaction score
I have the Viper 791XV installed, At the remote start will start it up inside a store or in the house easily.

Make sure the antenna for the remote starter is in the windshield.

Good luck with this!

Adam

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always mount the antenna vertically and have had great results - I am currently in the midst of installing a DEI 562T in my KJ right now...door locks are giving me a bunch of problems.

Also, make sure the antenna wire isn't coiled. I know I have a lot of excess in my install. Coiling it can mess with it's reception too.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some excess antenna coax under the dash. I wrappped it and blacked taped it out of the way. I took care not to kink it or anything because I know that can create problems.

I have read that if you can't get good reception with it mounted horizontally, then try mounting it vertically.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the ones you are referring to but I know for a fact that the OEM one works through walls and down the block.

Dave

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The remote starter I installed is model number 28624T.

This is the 5th remote car starter I've installed by Design Tech. I installed one in my '93 Buick Skylark years back and I could get awesome range with it. It too was advertised up to 1000'. But that was a completely different model.

I may try change the position of the antenna and see what happens.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct not to kink the antenna wire, but it also shouldn't be bundled tightly or coiled as my understanding is this can affect reception.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
if the problem is that its looped. sometimes simply running it back and forth ( like a big S) works... that is what we do with network cable to avoid interference.

Just my input...

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I hold the remote high in the air(above my head) it increases the range quite a bit.

This leads me to believe it's nothing to do with the antenna, but more to do with the remote.

Go figure.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
this works with the remotes for the door locks too: NOT BS!!!! i have tested this!!!!

slightly open your mouth. face your vehicle and touch the remote to your chin while pressing the button.. Give it a try. on my PT it gave me atleast an extra 20 feet and didnt require me to be pointing EXACTLY at the vehicle.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
under the chin definitely works, used to do it all the time on my last car with a DEI starter.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read an article somewhere stating that.

That's the reason I thought I'd try starting my vehicle while holding the remote over my head.

It works.

daveb

Reaction score
remote start

The next time buy a Compustar by Firstech starter. Even the mid level units have a 3000 ft range and the SS unit has a 1./5 mile range. My unit has locks, temp sensor and wired to turn on the seat heaters. It is a two way unit with paging and a nice LCD display. It has several channels that are user defined(open sun roof)

Dave

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
The next time buy a Compustar by Firstech starter. Even the mid level units have a 3000 ft range and the SS unit has a 1./5 mile range. My unit has locks, temp sensor and wired to turn on the seat heaters. It is a two way unit with paging and a nice LCD display. It has several channels that are user defined(open sun roof)

Dave

did you get the alarm one too? is it any good? or do you reccomend just the remote system? Im debating on whether to get just a remote start or a start/alarm

daveb

Reaction score
I had just the remote start unit. I had the 900fm two way. Have no experience with the alarm combo's. I just picked up a new Liberty tonight and already miss the compustar. The factory unit doesn't have the turbo feature I am used to. Lets you push a button and pull the key and run into a store with the engine running.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online