Remote Start / Anti theft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitethornedrose

Reaction score
Hi guys
New here and I really need a question answered! I just bought an 05 Liberty Sport about 7 months ago and it came with a remote start installed. Im not all that concerned with having it simply because where I live I can't see my Libby unless I actually get dressed cross the back yard around the corner and out to the parking lot to use it...at that rate, whats the point huh? I have read somewhere (googled something) that there is a bypass that (may be) installed to keep the anti theft from working? The few guys that I have talked to about this insist there is not an anti theft, that possibly my Jeep does not have one. I say it does! If that is the case, how do I get the Anti theft working...screw the remote start! I waited 10 years to FINALLY get a Jeep :party36: and I'll be damned if someone is gonna take off with it NOW! :shooter: Can someone please help me out with this? Thanks SO much!

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the remote start was installed properly, the factory "anti theft" will still be intact. It's only bypassed during the actual remote starting process by making the jeep think there's a valid key in the ignition.

There's 2 ways of doing it, there's a "coffin" box, that contain an spare key, with some wire and a loop running up to the ignition, or there's more modern units that look like tiny little relays that also go up near the ignition. The 2nd option is the most secure since there's no real key involved.

Also, if it was installed properly, most remote starters or aftermarket alarms have a starter kill feature, which if installed, requires that the alarm/starter is disarmed before you can start the vehicle, valid key or not.

Do you have a grey key, or a black key, or a keyfob/key combo?

If you have a black key, then you don't have any factory alarm/anti theft.

Whitethornedrose

Reaction score
hi desync0

thanks for your reply! my key looks exactly like this one. Numbers on back match identical too! My guess is this was installed as a DIY?

http://www.autotransponder.com/2005_2006_2007_jeep_liberty_remote_key

I hope this can help you to help me better! and again Thank you!!

Also is it possible to get the remote start out and the anti theft (if there IS one?) ....im willing to give the remote start to anyone who will take the damned thing out!

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Your Jeep does have "Sentry Key", which prevents the vehicle from being started without your specific key. Remote Start or not, this will still work even with a bypass.

If your Jeep has a factory alarm, it will still work too, even with the remote start.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the remote start disabling the factory anti-theft (sentry system).

Like Marlon said, remote starter or not, the sentry system still works, it's not "removed" or "disabled" with a remote starter, it's not even bypassed, they starter just makes the Jeep think that there is a valid key in the ignition when it starts. And it only does that for a few seconds.

If you don't want to use it, just don't use it, no worth spending any money to get rid of it

Also you don't have to see the Jeep to use the remote starter, most have a pretty good range, even through buildings. And even if someone was to smash the window while it was running and tried to drive away, as soon as they step on the brake pedal to take it out of park it will just shut off.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bypass only works when the remote starter commands it to. Trust me, I installed it. If the remote starter isn't starting the vehicle, the bypass is dormant (i.e., Sentry is working still).

All the bypass is (or, the one I used anyway, a DEI unit) is a relay connected to an RF transmitter. You put the transmitter near the cylinder. When the relay is energized, it emits the signal. You program that signal (just like you would a new key) for the KJ to recognize it.

Some people think it's a special key that has to match the vehicle. It's partially true - you need to have the proper key, but each of your keys gives off a different frequency. You program the KJ to recognize the key, not the other way around.

Whitethornedrose

Reaction score
ok...thank you everyone for your responses! I think I have a little better understanding about the whole thing. I guess I'm thinking the alarm and the anti theft are the same thing...sounds as though it isnt quite the same.

One last question: If I were to go and just have a key cut to have a spare, can I just get one at a hardware store or again, would this be a "special" key? I just want to be able to get in and drive in the event my only key is lost, or if I should be locked out.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In order to drive, you can't just get a normal key cut, it has to be either a key with a remote, or a grey rubber key.

And since you only have one, you'll have to go to the dealer to get it programmed, since you need both original keys in order to do it yourself. You can get it cut anywhere though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-1...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Those aren't the best prices, just the 1st ones I found that'll work.

Whitethornedrose

Reaction score
Thank you so much for clearing all this up for me! I hope to be as much help here in the future as I have gotten! I'm just learning.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right - I got a grey rubber key off ebay for $20, and I use the DEI remote starter fob with it. I just hated how clunky the OEM key was with the attached fob. Being that I had both of the OEM keys, I ordered the grey key off ebay, and had it cut at a hardware store. They didn't want to, but I explained I just wanted it cut properly, and I wouldn't hold them liable if it didn't work. I then programmed the new key using the two OEM ones.

If you do not have two working keys, you have to take it to a stealership to have it programmed. Not sure what they'd charge for that. I think if you order an OEM key (which isn't cheap), they'll usually program it for free as a "courtesy". So, not sure what would be cheaper - ebay key and paying for programming, or OEM key and free programming.

Latest posts

Members online