Reese Class III Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THADDEUS76

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to KJ Country. I just installed a Reese Class III Hitch on my 2004 Liberty. Is anyone else using one of these? I searched, but there isn't much out there pertaining to this particular hitch. I know theses are similar to the Drawtite hitch, but it was unlear if they are exact duplicates.

Here's the deal: The hitch sits pretty low as it is and when you use a drop ball mount, the boat trailer sits even lower. If I flipped it to the rise, it brought the trailer coupler close to the bottom of the tire. I'd rather not take the tire off everytime I pull the boat. If I use a long ball mount, will that lower the towing capacity of the liberty/hitch? Is there another way around this?
Thanks in advance.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Try a search of posts to the site. This issue has been tossed about, but I can't recall who or when. I'll try to dig up the thread as well.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.ontheball.com sells all sorts of drawbars to help you out. I need to get a longer one myself, just havent gotten there yet, I use the 2" drop and my trailer is perfectly level and the tongue just fits between the tire and ball.

Good luck, they shouldnt drop your tow capacity.

THADDEUS76

Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the help; I really appreciate it.

I re-read that thread you suggested DNM, but I'm still running into the same problem

The Reese hitch is more recessed that other hitches mention. It sits low and back from the bumper. From the hole where the pin slides in, to the back of my tire is a whopping 16 inches, so that 16 inch ball mount that ontheball.com sells would be too short. I talked to him today.

For refrence, I am only pulling a 17 foot ski boat. It shouldn't weigh more than 2500 lbs with the trailer. My ball height has to be around 16-18 inches to make the trailer level with the ground. The top of my hitch is 14 inches from the ground, so I figure I need a 2 3/4 rise plus the 2 inches from the ball to achieve that.

The only way I can see around this mess is to get an extender. I hate to lose towing capcity, and risk negative handling characteristics, but it appears as though it's my only option. The trailer won't be high enough to go underneath the tire, so I have to get it behind the tire, which is greater than 16 inches. If anyone see's an error in my outcome, please let me know.

jarvis

Reaction score
THADDEUS76 said:
The only way I can see around this mess is to get an extender. I hate to lose towing capcity, and risk negative handling characteristics, but it appears as though it's my only option. The trailer won't be high enough to go underneath the tire, so I have to get it behind the tire, which is greater than 16 inches. If anyone see's an error in my outcome, please let me know.

Maybe you can flip the mount to the rise position and try moving the spare tire up with this?

http://www.rocky-road.com/kjtirespace.html

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not think with a 17 foot ski boat you would have very much tongue weight. If you get a 16in receiver, you should be just fine with the tongue weight.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your capacity drops a lot with the extender, not much with the longer drawbar. Sometimes it makes sense to just remove the spare and carry it in a roof rack, the towed vehicle or inside the back door too.

THADDEUS76

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I get home tommorrow from my trip and I'm going to try a couple things.

The ball height only needs to be 17-18 inches, and its 21 from the bottom of my tire to the ground. I may have enough clearence to attach the trailer with the door opened, as suggested, then close the door. If it's too tight, I'll raise the tire with that Spare tire extension. It raises it 1.5 inches up and 2.5 inches out. And if worse comes to worse, I'll just throw the tire in the back. I'll let you know how it works out.

BTW- Does anyone know how to post pictures?