recovery help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexDisaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 kj limited no hooks or hitch, I also do not have access to welding equipment nor the skills and not much of a mechanical background either. How can I gain a rear hook on a low budget? I also have some hooks that are standard 2-3 hole and the hooks from a early 2000 chevy silverado... ideas?

05Sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a ring of sorts that goes in a receiver hitch. That looks kinda cool. And when you are not using it you can take it out.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mopar rear tow hooks are inexpensive ($20) so start with that if you don't need a hitch. For the front, get at least one Mopar tow hook.:)

AlexDisaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you please show me where youve seen that price? the only ones ive found havent been lower than $72

AlexDisaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at my front end and im wondering how reliable and strong the cross member maybe... but im guessing thats not a good idea to find out

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was just looking at my front end and im wondering how reliable and strong the cross member maybe... but im guessing thats not a good idea to find out

I wouldn't....go to a junk yard and maybe they'll be a KJ there with hooks.

As for the rear, PM bluekj_r17, as he was the one selling the rear hook. Not sure if it's still available. :)

AlexDisaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks ill try that but I was looking in the how to and i really like the looks of the front d rings and that seems like its pretty inter-changable with other towing equipment but I'd rather not try something that im not familiar with at all :(

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

AlexDisaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea.. but like I said i dont have any idea what id be doing if i did that and im not entirely sure thatd work on the limited since some friends of mine have noticed that they have different mounting methods in the different trims

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
yea.. but like I said i dont have any idea what id be doing if i did that and im not entirely sure thatd work on the limited since some friends of mine have noticed that they have different mounting methods in the different trims

l
I think it's all the same.....Renegades *might* be slightly different, but not by much.:)

The 05+ are different fronts, though. 02-04 Should be the same.

AlexDisaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the renegade came with hooks from the lines so i think the bumper is mounted deeper into the front or the metal that the bumper is mounted on is some how connected and not like a fork

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always consider putting a hitch on the back, around $200 or less, i got mine from eTrailer.com, Curt Class III for $154. They also carry the shackle for the receiver, $30.

If you don't do any towing you could skip the cost of a wiring harness and just install the receiver for recovery use for now, and add the harness later.

For the front you don't have many options, factory tow hooks, or fab up some d-rings like in the how-to's.

Latest posts

Members online