recommend car wax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What cleaner wax are we talking about? If it is "Ice" type stuff, I'm inclined to say it is not harsh enough to even touch clear coat if applied correctly, but I want to be sure we are talking the same thing.....

I was thinking Meguiar's Cleaner wax, or comperable product.....

Thanks.:)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking Meguiar's Cleaner wax, or comperable product.....

As long as it is a non-abrasive cleaner wax, such as the Meguiar's, it should not have anywhere near the strength to diminish clear coat. That being said, I am still slightly confused to the purpose of cleaner wax. I do not understand how one $5 product can remove contaminants and provide protection at the same time. Personally, if you are looking to frequently apply a wax, I would go a carnuba route. It is expected to only have a lifespan of about 2-3 months on a vehicle, but also has a great appearance.

Disclaimer: I am not a chemist and automotive detailing is more of an art then a pastime, so read my next post!!!!

Last edited:

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm almost done detailing mine. Here's what I did..

Wash Jeep

Clay bar Meguairs W/quick detail spray

Meguairs Swirl-X

Meguairs polish

Meguairs carnuba wax

Yes, its tedious, but damn she looks good!

I started Monday and its ummm Thursday and I'm ALMOST done..Ok, I might be a little OCD!!!

Still have the roof to do and half the windshield! So, I got tired last night! It was 0230...

I am using a DA for the polish but did the rest by hand...:D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As long as it is a non-abrasive cleaner wax, such as the Meguiar's, it should not have anywhere near the strength to diminish clear coat. That being said, I am still slightly confused to the purpose of cleaner wax. I do not understand how one $5 product can remove contaminants and provide protection at the same time. Personally, if you are looking to frequently apply a wax, I would go a carnuba route. It is expected to only have a lifespan of about 2-3 months on a vehicle, but also has a great appearance.

Thanks....I've been thinking all cleaner waxes were clear removing as long as clear has been around!!!!!

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks....I've been thinking all cleaner waxes were clear removing as long as clear has been around!!!!!

Ok. Just a quick warning. I've been doing more research. It appears that a "cleaner wax" in its simplest form and by definition is simply meant to clean the surface of contaminants before waxing. That alone should not affect the clear coat, since, in my opinion, that sounds like the intention of a claybar, which would be the preferred method of removing contaminants for wax. However, I've seen a few links on a Mercedes and BMW forum that shows the Meguiar Cleaner Wax as containing a slight abrasive. This, used excessively and over years of time, would diminish the clearcoat. So, I guess the actual response to your question, is sometimes. It would depend on the type of cleaner wax and the components of it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok. Just a quick warning. I've been doing more research. It appears that a "cleaner wax" in its simplest form and by definition is simply meant to clean the surface of contaminants before waxing. That alone should not affect the clear coat, since, in my opinion, that sounds like the intention of a claybar, which would be the preferred method of removing contaminants for wax. However, I've seen a few links on a Mercedes and BMW forum that shows the Meguiar Cleaner Wax as containing a slight abrasive. This, used excessively and over years of time, would diminish the clearcoat. So, I guess the actual response to your question, is sometimes. It would depend on the type of cleaner wax and the components of it.

So I should research a softer [read less abrasive] cleaner wax?? I still have some time before next wax (Labor Day??), but will keep looking.