Recall and Control Arm Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dondeluxe

Reaction score
Hey all,
Got me recall notice (F23) in this week and took in to the dealer at after the work was done they told me that I needed to replace the front left and right lower control arms. I have 52,000m on my 02. I was quoted 638 for parts and 422 for labor. Questions is isnt it a little early to have to replace control arms? I had a wrangler that I didn't have to do this till over 100k miles? Also would this be covered under my extended warranty?

Thanks,
Donald

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh, Ive never heard of anyone replacing the lower control arms? Are you sure it wasnt the upper arms? The balljoint and control arm is one piece and if the balljoint goes bad, youve got to replace the entire arm.

Only thing I could figure was bad with the lower arm is bushings. And they can replace just those and not the entire arm. Sounds like someone is wanting some extra money to me. O:)

The lower arm just isn't a wearable part. It doesn't wear away?

dondeluxe

Reaction score
The estimate says Front Lower Control Arm, R&R Part number CH520886363-AF Description Arm Lower Control, same for the other one but the part number is CH52088637-AF. The wrangler I had to do this on was after I had hit a rock and cracked the sucker. It wasn't cuz of wear. That's why I am so confused.

Thanks,
Donald

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dondeluxe said:
The estimate says Front Lower Control Arm, R&R Part number CH520886363-AF Description Arm Lower Control, same for the other one but the part number is CH52088637-AF. The wrangler I had to do this on was after I had hit a rock and cracked the sucker. It wasn't cuz of wear. That's why I am so confused.

Thanks,
Donald

Sounds likes they just wanted to some extra money. Its a solid chunk of cast iron, not sure how it would wear out.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Eddo said:
dondeluxe said:

Thanks,
Donald

Sounds likes they just wanted to some extra money. Its a solid chunk of cast iron, not sure how it would wear out.

x2. Tell them just do the ball joints and you'll be on your way.

matter of fact, ask them "How does cast iron wear out?" I'm curious to hear their response.