rebuilt ****** problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reverse went out on my 04 limited auto so i had it rebuilt. didnt notice when i left the place but the next day i could tell that 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were hard. every now and then when i come to a complete stop it jerks like its stuck in gear and then gets forced out. once when i was testing it i went WOT in 2nd and it didnt go into third at first, like it misssed a gear. my ****** is a noob at shifting now lol.

well that was a few months ago when it was first rebuilt but now it doesnt shift hard from 2-3 and since it got cold it doesnt shift hard from 1-2 as often as it did when it was hot. still every now and then i feel it buck when i come to a stop.

any ideas why its not working right? the guy who rebuilt it is currently working on it right now(couldnt find time to bring it to the shop till last monday) and its almost been two weeks and he still cant figure out whats wrong. i called him yesterday and he said he ordered some parts but they didnt come in on time so he wont be able to get it put back together until monday. hopefully these "new parts" will fix it. funny part is that when he first started working on it he called me and said everything he tries just makes it worst. lol just call i want to hear. :p

anyhow now im just waiting to see what happens. just curious, anyone know if the 45rle internals will go in the 42rle? when i first brought it to him he looked it up on his computer for a cost estimate and said its a 45rle but since mine is a 04 it has to be the 42rle right? you think he mightve tried to put the 45 parts in a 42? doesnt seem like it would fit since theyre completely different. oh and it came with a 1 year warranty so hopefully he doesnt try to make me pay for any of this. $2k+ is a lot for a transmission that doesnt work like its suppose to. honestly i wouldnt have brought it in if i didnt feel like it was/could damage it and since its an expensive part to fix/replace i didnt want to take a chance of it going out anytime soon prematurely.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought: Did the mechanic use ATF+4? That is the ONLY ****** fluid that will work in your transmission. It isn't unusual for the ****** to shift a little strangely right after install as the computer needs to relearn driving style, shift points, etc. But to continue and for your mechanic to admit that he is only making things worse with everything he does is a real problem. Is it a transmission shop that's working on your Libby or a general garage?

And yes, your ****** is the 42RLE.

Bob

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its purely a transmission shop. mikes transmission. not sure if he used atf+4 but i would assume so. its hard to believe that the wrong fluid would make it shift hard like that. i could believe the wrong fluid making it go out quicker but it never worked to begin with.
even if it would shift strangely after an install it still shouldnt shift hard like it did. man im ready to have my jeep back. im tired of putting miles on my car.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TwoBobs is absolutely correct: the wrong fluid in a Chrysler trans can definitely cause problems. If he didn't use ATF+4 (Dexron + a "fluid converter" is NOT acceptable), a complete fluid change is in order. Sounds like he isn't too knowledgeable about Chrysler trannies.