Rear tailgate rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked and looked on forums and on my jeep itself for the source of my noise. Tried adjusting the stopper on the body, adjusting the rear glass mechanism, you name it. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked and looked on forums and on my jeep itself for the source of my noise. Tried adjusting the stopper on the body, adjusting the rear glass mechanism, you name it. Any ideas?

You need to remove the rear inner panel and have someone sit in the cargo area while you are driving to try see where the rattle is coming from.

The tailgate latch itself is adjustable as is the glass popup window latch.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to get a rattle. I adjusted the glass latch and put sound deadening on the trim and te door. Titened the tire added some silicone grease to the weather strip and sound was gone no idea which of those did it. I kept doing one after the other after the other i forget which stopped it.

Grahame

Reaction score
It's the rear tire carrier in my unit (2002 with 160k). It's been rattling for months and I finally decided to try and shake the tire by hand with the door open and sure enough, there it is. Now I need to fix it somehow..

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did this happen after your paint job?
Check the spare tire carrier.

No has always been there. As far as taking the rear liner off, I checked everything. No clue where it's coming from

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better speakers and an amp seem to have taken care of all the rattles in the old 02!!!!!

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better speakers and an amp seem to have taken care of all the rattles in the old 02!!!!!

Good news then. All speakers have been replaced, cotton and foam in all panels, an amp and 12" Rockford fosgate p1s, I think I'm good there.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed it. Remembered there was an 07 liberty at a nearby junkyard. Pulled the door stop on the body and the door. Fixed.