Rear main seal question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbm92226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the rear main seal a common wear item on the KJ's? I have 84k on my 2005 and it is starting to leak. Regular service has been done since new. Any thoughts? :shrug:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My though is to replace it. Not really that common but it does happen.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the rear main seal a common wear item on the KJ's? I have 84k on my 2005 and it is starting to leak. Regular service has been done since new. Any thoughts? :shrug:

The rear seal isn't a common problem on this engine. However there are a couple other things that leak and show themselves around the transmission structural cover.

1) The oil pressure sensor can leak and the oil runs along the top of the oil pan and drips down the structural cover.

2) The front main seal leaks, and again the oil runs along the pan and drips off the structural cover.

The oil pressure sensor and front seal are relatively easy to replace; the rear main seal requires the transmission to be removed and a Miller tool to remove and install the seal.

Start with the easy ones first ;)

Bob

Latest posts

Members online