rear hook

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OHIO04KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a rear hook (04') and the 2 bolts that bolt up to the frame rail don't fit. What size are they, and can I just go to Lowes/Home depot, or will the dealer have them?

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
M12x1.75x40mm

Home Depot and Lowes sell grade 8.8 which isn't strong enough for a tow hook. I suggest you visit a fastener specialty store and pick up some grade 10.9 bolts (or 12.9 if they have stock that grade).

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
If nutzerts are in frame,might try cleaning threads,I find a tap works well

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If nutzerts are in frame,might try cleaning threads,I find a tap works well
Ah yeah, could be that the nutzerts are rusted out. But, anyway, make sure you have the right bolts and that they are grade 10.9 or higher.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i had to run a tap into my 03 to install my tow hitch. went in like hot butter after the tap.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a darn tap for the size, well mainly because its metric and the stores around me are limited in that relm..

I used a plumbers brush, the type you use for prepping tubing before soldering, and run that through the holes with some PB Blaster, but any type of penetrating oil will do, and then gave each bolt a shot of oil and run them in. If you can't find or afford a tap then just put some old fashioned elbow grease into the job!

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a darn tap for the size, well mainly because its metric and the stores around me are limited in that relm..

I used a plumbers brush, the type you use for prepping tubing before soldering, and run that through the holes with some PB Blaster, but any type of penetrating oil will do, and then gave each bolt a shot of oil and run them in. If you can't find or afford a tap then just put some old fashioned elbow grease into the job!

Any impact gun (mine is/was a Craftsman electric) with Nev'r Seize works as well, standard method at a dealer I used to hang at. We mounted a Class 3, in my pal's garage.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any impact gun (mine is/was a Craftsman electric) with Nev'r Seize works as well, standard method at a dealer I used to hang at. We mounted a Class 3, in my pal's garage.
I would make sure the bolt is thread in a few ways before using an impact gun. You don't want to cross thread.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering, how much does the rear tow hook cost? If it is around 1/2 the price of a hitch why wouldn't you just spring for the hitch instead?

Boiler

Reaction score
I'd definitely find a tap. Its less of a headache than breaking a bolt, or breaking loose a nutsert. Grainger has them.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2LXP7?Pid=search

I usually run a thread chaser over old bolts as well, as they are usually a complete mess. Finally, coat the threads in antisieze before final install so that you can get it back off. After a couple years in the right environment, those bolts rust like mad up where they stick through the nutsert. Then they are a nightmare to get out. I've had to use a breaker bar the whole way on some of them, and I've already broke a couple.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely find a tap. Its less of a headache than breaking a bolt, or breaking loose a nutsert. Grainger has them.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2LXP7?Pid=search

I usually run a thread chaser over old bolts as well, as they are usually a complete mess. Finally, coat the threads in antisieze before final install so that you can get it back off. After a couple years in the right environment, those bolts rust like mad up where they stick through the nutsert. Then they are a nightmare to get out. I've had to use a breaker bar the whole way on some of them, and I've already broke a couple.
Or use blue Threadlocker like I did.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's more than half ... retail that is

Glad I have a hitch then... Has anyone ever have one of the hooks fail on them? The one and only time I've ever had to use a recovery hook for anything it was to pull my ol' Jimmy out of a ditch and one of the front ones snapped and almost hit the tow truck driver.