Rear end-links are seized, what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iheartmuhjeep

Reaction score
I have been in the process of basically trying to replace every rusty part on my KK, which is like...every part. Anyway, the rear sway bar end-link upper bolts are seized. The bottom ones were too, but I was able to cut them off. The top ones go into a nut that appears to be inside the frame and possibly welded to the frame. This means I can't simply cut these off.
As of now, I have the rear sway bar off the vehicle and the end-links just dangling down.

I drove it without the rear sway bar yesterday, seemed alright but honestly that was my first time driving the Jeep in like 7 months so I don't have any gauge on the feel especially since I just finished putting on OME lift.

Is it OK to leave the bar off, or should I keep working on these bolts even though I'm pretty sure the nut inside is just going to break because it is also very rusty? I drive city and offroad. Thank you for your time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Get the old one off
Then how much lift
stock sway bar can hold down the rear if going much over 2.5 , 2.75 inches
Plus your track bar may need to be lengthened , if not it will pull body over to one side

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember those end links being a PITA when Tommudd and I replaced them years ago. Tom had to cut the lower bolts off with an angle grinder. I think we were able to get the upper bolts off somehow but I don’t remember how much persuasion they took. Tom will know.

I wouldn’t run without sway bar links because without them there is no limit to the droop your rear axle can do. You could end up in a position off road where you stretch and break a brake line.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it took some liquid something or other , then some very choice words LOL

iheartmuhjeep

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Yeah, took lots of spray lube, time, and the big breaker-bar to get them out. But they finally came. I've put some pics for future reference if anyone needs to see where these are located.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online