rear diff oil leak on 02 liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cris

Reaction score
hi i just noticed an oil leak from the top of my rear diff on my 02 liberty its seems to have sprayed all over the floor panel, its not really dripping just spread around ,without pics its not really that clear but in your opinion do you think its a big job to fix, bay be a seal. thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Crawl under Jeep & have a closer look.
Does it appear to be leaking form the seal on pumpkin up top, between cover & housing or ...coming out the back rear seal & spraying onto drive shaft & above?
Either way until leak is repaired, I would want to pull fill plug and add or make sure you have enough gear lube in the housing with Limited Slip additive If you have a trac-lok (limited slip diff)

Last edited:

Bushmonster73

Reaction score
If it is the rear input seal it is much easier to change than the front. I do recommend using an impact on the drive shaft bolts to remove and install them otherwise you may hurt yourself (lesson learned)...