Rear bumper or bumper cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got rash on both quarters, both times discovered upon returning to jeep at the parking lot. Local body shop wants $500 to repair, paint, etc.. They are really not that bad but needs good sanding, rubbing and painting.

I noticed some people sell rear bumper cover, I don't know if stock KJ comes with a bumper cover or if it is one piece, or if it is easy to replace.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To me it looks like the cover is seperate from the bumper.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 week after I got mine I came out of Best Buy to see a car parked at a phooked up angle next to mine. When I got up to it, I noticed a gauge in the side molding. I waited for almost 10 minutes for the owners to come out, but left once other people started looking and pointing at me for sitting on the car. People who "ding" vehicles and don't leave a note or try and remedy the problem should have their hearts explode and their brains ooze out their ears. When I had my Monte Carlo I came out of the mall to find the bumper on the ground!

<edit>

By the way, I feel for you man.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a few sell bumper covers on ebay for various prices. Some of them are unpainted, some of them primed, some painted.

Does anyone have the service manual that shows how to remove and replace it?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a few sell bumper covers on ebay for various prices. Some of them are unpainted, some of them primed, some painted.

Does anyone have the service manual that shows how to remove and replace it?
It's not hard.

Remove rear parts of rear fender flares.Unbolt 2 per side 10mm bolts that are located under the rear flares you just took off.Remove 3 screws on the top lip of bumper,just below rear swing gate rubber seal.Remove 3 or 5 plastic rivets on bottom lip,unhook license plate light connector.Then remove the rear bumper cover,rear swing gate needs to be partially open to make it easier.You will need about 10-15 new plastic rivets to replace the ones you broke removing the bumper cover.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's how it says to do it on an 02:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks tj and timmer,
I wish I had renegade, since they have exposed bolts for removing the flares. :)
Next step is finding a bumper cover to buy.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone backed a boat trailer in to my front bumper (and took off), now the wimpy plastic "fascia" needs to be replaced. Anyone know what I should pay for the fascia for DIY install? Can't bring myself to spend too much on this piece of plastic. Any tips on where to find one around Minneapolis?