rear brakes howling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kruzn

Reaction score
Another quick question...

I recently replaced the rear disc brake pads and parking brake shoes. Rotors were worn, but they still looked good so I did not replace. I did scuff the rotors with 80 grit sandpaper.

All was good until a couple weeks after replacing the pads. Then I started to get howling noise on the first couple applications of the brakes at light braking pressure. It only happens when backing out of the driveway and sometimes the first couple stops going forward. After that (brakes now warmed) it seems to be OK. It does not make the noise under heavy braking.

Over the last couple weeks it has gotten worse (more frequent and much louder), but still goes away after a bit. I've pulled the wheels and inspected everything and cannot see anything wrong.

The brake pads were the medium grade from Napa. However, they did not come with any new hardware, such as the anti-squeal/anti-rattle clips, so I reused the old ones. Is it possible I need to replace those also?

I'm going to try sanding both the pads and rotors again to see if that helps.

Maybe somebody has had a similar experience?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Another quick question...

I recently replaced the rear disc brake pads and parking brake shoes. Rotors were worn, but they still looked good so I did not replace. I did scuff the rotors with 80 grit sandpaper.

All was good until a couple weeks after replacing the pads. Then I started to get howling noise on the first couple applications of the brakes at light braking pressure. It only happens when backing out of the driveway and sometimes the first couple stops going forward. After that (brakes now warmed) it seems to be OK. It does not make the noise under heavy braking.

Over the last couple weeks it has gotten worse (more frequent and much louder), but still goes away after a bit. I've pulled the wheels and inspected everything and cannot see anything wrong.

The brake pads were the medium grade from Napa. However, they did not come with any new hardware, such as the anti-squeal/anti-rattle clips, so I reused the old ones. Is it possible I need to replace those also?

I'm going to try sanding both the pads and rotors again to see if that helps.

Maybe somebody has had a similar experience?

First should always replace the hardware when doing a brake job, they wear out as well
Running sandpaper across the rotors does nothing really except make you feel like you've done something.
Check the metal contend of the new pads, not sure of the medium grade NAPAs ( have never used them ) but some have enough that a small amount of rust ( or similar to rust ) will form over night giving you some noise .
The 03 had a similar set on front when I picked it up, made some noise at first drive, tossed them and went with NAPAs Adaptive One pads

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think there's something "wrong" perse with it, I think those pads are just rusting over. I'd switch to ceramics, along with some new grease and hardware. I get a bit of noise if it's real cold out at first, but goes away after backing out of the driveway.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
double check the caliper slide pins.
I just did new pads and rotors and the ps rear groaned when backing up and for several rotations forward.
Turns out the slide pins were worn allowing the caliper to rotate slightly and was only catching the pads at one corner.

Gyro