Ready for wheels...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ozzy17L

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post to this forum and I'd like to ask some advice on wheels. Just purchased an '03 Liberty Sport 4X4 a couple of weeks ago and would like to go with the Cragar (397) Soft Eights in black with BFG AT-KO's in size 235/70/16.
While searching around for the wheels I noticed that in a 16x7 they have a backspace of 4" and was wondering if any of you have installed 235mm AT-KO's on a wheel with 4" of backspace, if so are you having any rubbing problems?
I have no plans on lifting this truck up, so I guess I could run with a narrower tire if I have to, or will the 397 Cragar in a 15" fit the Liberty? because I think they offer it with a backspace of 5" which is closer to stock.
Thanks for your help.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
I think you could get away with the 16x8 having a 5" BS. Especially running the 235/70/16's.

8" rim is a bit wide for a 235 dont ya think?

Although both of those rims(16X8X5, 16X7X4) will put the outside edge of the tire in the same position.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ozzy17L said:
Hello everyone,
This is my first post to this forum and I'd like to ask some advice on wheels. Just purchased an '03 Liberty Sport 4X4 a couple of weeks ago and would like to go with the Cragar (397) Soft Eights in black with BFG AT-KO's in size 235/70/16.
While searching around for the wheels I noticed that in a 16x7 they have a backspace of 4" and was wondering if any of you have installed 235mm AT-KO's on a wheel with 4" of backspace, if so are you having any rubbing problems?
I have no plans on lifting this truck up, so I guess I could run with a narrower tire if I have to, or will the 397 Cragar in a 15" fit the Liberty? because I think they offer it with a backspace of 5" which is closer to stock.
Thanks for your help.

The 16x7's on my KJ have 6" of BS. I don't know why you couldn't go with 4", as unless I'm not thinking right, that moves the tires two inches further away from the Jeep. I'm actually thinking about putting my TJ's wheels on my KJ, which they have 5.5" BS, and they looked really cool as they were a half inch further out. But then, 4" might be too much unless you went with wider tires?

You may want to measure the BS on your wheels that you have, as you probably have 6" too?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Ozzy17L said:
Hello everyone,
Thanks for your help.

The 16x7's on my KJ have 6" of BS. I don't know why you couldn't go with 4", as unless I'm not thinking right, that moves the tires two inches further away from the Jeep. I'm actually thinking about putting my TJ's wheels on my KJ, which they have 5.5" BS, and they looked really cool as they were a half inch further out. But then, 4" might be too much unless you went with wider tires?

You may want to measure the BS on your wheels that you have, as you probably have 6" too?

The stock rims on the KJ have 5.5in BS grogiefrog.. O:)

I had the cragar soft 8's w/5in BS.. Makes the jeep look really mean.. Although I sold my 255/70/16 tires b/c they were to big. Looking for a replacement now.. :-s