RB1 with iPod and Sirius Display Artist and Song

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So back in 2005 when I bought my Liberty brand new it had Sirius from the factory and would display artist and song on the radio. After a year the trial subscription ran out and I didn't renew it. Fast forward to about 18 months ago. I was in Afghanistan and my wife was going to drive from Florida to my new duty station in Washington and meet me when I arrived home. To make the trip more enjoyable she purchased a RB1 head unit, navigation kit, iPod kit, subwoofer, and uConnect, all of which were factory options. A local stereo shop installed everything along with a new set of speakers as the old ones had blown. Everything seemed to work great, iPod would display artist and song info just as Sirius had on the previous head unit. Today I decided I wanted to give Sirius another shot as I just don't have a lot of music choices on the local radio and my iPod was stolen a few months ago so I no longer had that to listen to. Got a free two months trial from Sirius but I noticed something strange, I would no longer get artist and song info on my display. I removed the Ipod kit and still nothing. I don't understand why it is not working now when it did previously. Did the installer remove a multiplexer or something that was in there previously? Anyone got a diagram or pics of how their Sirius is hooked up, with or without the iPod kit? I saw a diagram with the CD changer but the multiplexer connections are not the same as the iPod one so it didn't really help me any. I just want my ish to work the way its supposed to lol. I can post pics and part numbers or anything else you guys need to help me out on this. I've taken the dash apart a few times already and the center console as well tracing cables so nothing is off limits!

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a follow up to anyone who finds this thread and might find this info useful. My original radio was the RBQ. I dug it out of the garage and hooked it up to see what would happen. It does not display the artist or song title like I thought it did (give me a break it was nearly 10 years ago lol!). It does however display the name of the station you are listening to which the RB1 does not. It will also search by genre and the RB1 won't do that either. In order to get the RB1 to display the artist and song title you need to get 2 cables (p/n 5066206aa & 82208322) and a multiplex splitter box (p/n 5066202ac). If you have the factory remote cd changer you will also need a third cable (p/n 5066204aa). I don't have the changer so if you do you might already have everything except possibly 82208322.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! You don't need to buy jack shit, all you have to do is add one wire to the existing sirius harness and you are golden. I just got through doing it and after a 30 minute test drive everything is still working perfectly. Why DC didn't didn't already have that wire in the harness is beyond me, guess it might have saved them a penny or two per vehicle. I noticed the iPod cable and the sirius cable were the same, 12 pin on one end and 10 in on the other, but not all pins were being used. Upon closer inspection the iPod harness had one extra wire that was not present in the sirius harness. So I did a test and ran a wire in the sirius harness in the same pin-out as the extra wire on the iPod harness and voila now I have station name, genre, artist and song title for all my sirius stations!

Kittrell

Reaction score
HA! You don't need to buy jack shit, all you have to do is add one wire to the existing sirius harness and you are golden. I just got through doing it and after a 30 minute test drive everything is still working perfectly. Why DC didn't didn't already have that wire in the harness is beyond me, guess it might have saved them a penny or two per vehicle. I noticed the iPod cable and the sirius cable were the same, 12 pin on one end and 10 in on the other, but not all pins were being used. Upon closer inspection the iPod harness had one extra wire that was not present in the sirius harness. So I did a test and ran a wire in the sirius harness in the same pin-out as the extra wire on the iPod harness and voila now I have station name, genre, artist and song title for all my sirius stations!
Hey Elliot,

I know this is old, can you share what wire you ran between each plug pin?

Last edited:

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Elliot,

I know this is old, can you share what wire you ran between each plug pin?
I bought some wire that was the same size as the rest of the harness (maybe 12 ga?). Nothing I had in the garage was long enough, it had to run from the passenger rear up to the head unit so it was kinda long. I don't remember exactly which pinout it was but I think if you look at the harness there is only one maybe two that aren't already used so it should be pretty simple to figure out. If I could do it you can too lol, I'm not electrically inclined.

Kittrell

Reaction score
There is only one on the HU side but there are 2 or 3 not used on the changer side, so I was hoping you could remember!

NavyStore

Reaction score
I wonder is this was affected by the Sirius and XM merger after your vehicle was made. They may have changed the 'track info' pin. My Sirius system on my 2008 still works fine, but I'm also using the same top end UConnect (with HDD and Nav - I think it's the RKE??) system my KK came with.