RB1 NAV Radio to play DVD's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this possible? obviously when your parked to watch DVD's? can this be done?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that there is a company that can modify an RB1 to play video DVDs. It was cost prohibative (I'm thinking like several hundreds of dollars) - so I'm thinking that the quick answer to your question would probably be practically, no.

Update- Found the link in my bookmarks. Here's a snippit. Doesnt really give any additonal info, but confirms what I'd thought.

Code:
Can I play movies or other DVD type discs?
Not as it comes from the factory. The RB1 is designed to only read the special DVD-ROM Navigation disc. However, in the spring of 2004 an aftermarket company began offering modified units in which input jacks are added to the rear. This modification allows an external A/V source, such as a portable DVD player, to be plugged into and displayed on the RB1's screen. The mod does not allow you to play a DVD movie directly in the RB1, and is very expensive (around $1,000 not including the RB1).

-Blu

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall on the '70's TV show "Chips", that a guy got a ticket for watching TV while driving. I don't know if you really can get a ticket for doing so? It would be hard to have video running while driving, and not occasionally look at it. I just saw a story that a kid wrecked his car and killed a guy due to text messaging.

But if you were parked with your lady, sure, why not!

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is illegal to have video playing in view of the driver. If the screen is mount in view of the driver, your suppose to wire it to the emergency brake. This is so that the emergency brake has to be set for the screen to be on. The only exception is if its a GPS or Audio Only screen, i think.

BoeserBlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
billforde said:
It is illegal to have video playing in view of the driver. If the screen is mount in view of the driver, your suppose to wire it to the emergency brake. This is so that the emergency brake has to be set for the screen to be on. The only exception is if its a GPS or Audio Only screen, i think.

You can disable this, by simpky grounding that wire. Of course, this would be illegal so I'm not saying to do it. Just saying it can be done... if you wanted to. Not saying you ought to. (whistle)