Radiator replacement and possible issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nozborne

Reaction score
I replaced the radiator, water pump and thermostat. As part of the process we obviously drained the system. Once it was all back together, we refilled with coolant mix. The problem is that it only took about 12 quarts of coolant, well below the fill quantity. I have driven it several times since and the temp has not risen beyond normal. In addition, the fluid levels have not dropped from the level it was filled to originally. Are there any things I should be looking for? Or is there anything I can do to ensure the system is properly filled? Thanks.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you also drain the coolant via both engine block drain plugs? That would most likely be the reason for taking less coolant as there still was some coolant in the system, Are you getting proper heat? As uss2 mentioned did you not the location of the thermostat's bleed valve?

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throwing in there that I hope you used a Mopar radiator...as all others are junk and will leak after a few months (usually from the driver's side corner).

nozborne

Reaction score
a few things to ponder:
1. did you install the T-stat with the bleeder valve on the top.
2. there's a bleeder plug by the top radiator hose to bleed the air out of the system.
See towards the end of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv0HpH2ymB4

1. That I am not 100% sure. My partner in crime actually installed it and he is currently on his way to Texas for family stuff. I will check with him and see if he remembers. What would be the side effects if it was not?

2. No, it is frozen and will not move. I taking it right to the edge of where I would be stripping threads or the socket to get it to move and it will not. I have tried it with both a hot and cold engine.