Radiator Questions - Is my Coolant Leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

Just figured I'd ask this on here before I went out to a mechanic, but I noticed some moisture starting at the top driver's side of the radiator and leaking down into the engine compartment, and dripping off the dumb plastic stock shield thing. Is this a hairline crack in my radiator, causing the slight leakage? Or is this just condensation from...something...? The fluid itself seems to be only water. I can't seem to tell if it has any color, nor smell (I have a terrible sense of smell). Pictures of the moisture attached below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Some quick info: I'm in a 2004 KJ with 108k miles, still (to the best of my knowledge) on the original OEM radiator. I am low on coolant (Coolant doesn't even come CLOSE to the overflow reservoir), but have been since the beginning of winter. I believe I have been low all this time because Valvoline did not bleed the system when they flushed my coolant in the summer. I only noticed this recently because I only NOW know that the system needed to be bleeded by turning on the heat with the cap off.

So with that, a couple of questions:

1) Is my radiator leaking?

2) How do I tell that Valvoline wasn't ignorant and actually used HOAT coolant? I've been told HOAT is Red or Orange, but I can't see any coolant in the overflow tank, even at full operating temperature.

3) Any recommendations? (Bandaid fix? The Jeep doesn't have to last me much longer, as I graduate from school in 6 months).

Thank you all!!

EDIT: One of the pictures I took brought something to my attention. There is a small "drip" that looks clearly pink/red (See below). I went outside and touched it, and it clearly looked like it had a pink tint to it, with the consistency of water. I think I found my answer...but can I still get a few opinions on the matter?

Last edited:

Dimebag

Reaction score
I just put a radiator in mine last year, pain in the ass because you have to take the grill and most of the front end off to fix, also be careful the aluminum is really thin on the new rads, but yeah it looks like you have a small leak!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep looks like radiator time
plus you have been running it low on coolant the way it sounds

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just put a radiator in mine last year, pain in the ass because you have to take the grill and most of the front end off to fix, also be careful the aluminum is really thin on the new rads, but yeah it looks like you have a small leak!!

Grill just loose at the top, didn't pull mine since I didn't feel like pulling the ARB off

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Any recommendations on where to get one? And what should I do while I wait for the delivery of the radiator? Will caulk help? Anything I can do to seal it or should I just refill it and let it leak slowly?

Currently thinking Rockauto.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS - I FINALLY have what feels like a full understand of this whacked out cooling system. Should I flush the system with water after I remove the old radiator? I also assume I don't have to flush very long...being that there is no radiator on the system. Or maybe should I flush the system with the new radiator in place? (To get the other hoses too?)

Once again I thank anyone and everyone who takes time to read and respond. :) :cheers:

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine from Rock Auto. Upper and lower hoses. My guess is you were leaking at the seal between the plastic tanks and the alum. core. Might as well do the T stat also. As for flushing..... I may get flamed but if you have neglected the system, flushing may cause new problems. I just did the work, and filled up with HOAT, cycled it and checked it over the next serveral days, recheck hose clamps too. You should replace the fan belt too, since everything is out of the way.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine from Rock Auto. Upper and lower hoses. My guess is you were leaking at the seal between the plastic tanks and the alum. core. Might as well do the T stat also. As for flushing..... I may get flamed but if you have neglected the system, flushing may cause new problems. I just did the work, and filled up with HOAT, cycled it and checked it over the next serveral days, recheck hose clamps too. You should replace the fan belt too, since everything is out of the way.

Luckily it was relatively recently flushed (<10k miles ago) so I should be good as far as gunk. I think I'm just gonna empty it when I do.

Long story short, I went to get coolant to refill, and on the way home (with non-diluted coolant/antifreeze), she started to overheat. Irony at its finest. Had a friend bring my distilled water, filled her up, and she'll probably be good for a little while. I'm likely going to replace the radiator next week. Hoses and clamps look good; no leakage, so I'll probably leave them. And I can't afford the part as it is so I'm just going to skip the T-stat.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you plan is great. Do what you can when you can. You will be shocked like I was when you see all the junk in the bottom of the radiatior taking up cooling space.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I just replaced mine today. Leaking at the same location. I bought a Mopar radiator and hoses! $267

http://www.partswebsite.com/moparonlineparts

The aftermarket Rads do not last. I've heard this will if it is really the original equipment. Looks pretty hearty. This is the second in 10 months and the cheaper ones will leak at the same location. I replaced the original last winter with 145k on it with a replacement from Rock Auto (Spectrum for around 100 bucks). It leaked right near where the original leaked. Same spot shown in this thread. You can short term seal with JB weld but will only buy you a couple weeks.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are napa rads not any good? Everyone use to say buy napa rads.

Napa rad was $185...

The thing doesn't have to last me THAT long. The leak is so slow I notice no difference in coolant level. Knock on wood...maybe I'll use JB for a bit but gotta find the exact spot where it's leaking.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
The JB was good for two weeks but I couldn't get it thick enough on the bad spot (vertical). Trust me though and go with the Mopar rad. If you don't think you'll have the vehicle for long then go for any other brand. I may have consider an Omix but heeded the warnings of TJKJ and others.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Napa radiator because even if it does go bad it's got a lifetime replacement warranty

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Life Time Warentee GREAT but if you got to pull it and take it back to NAPA every so often then is that worth it??
I just ordered me a new Rad for my 63' Ford Falcon from Ron Davis.. Probably best in the biz but probably most expensive too. I dont want to screw around or worry about my $10K motor overheating.
After talking to the guy who flushed my Rad on my Jeep about 2 years ago before I took it cross country. He said new Rad's are hybrid Metal/plastic. Its not a matter of IF, but just WHEN it will start leaking due to the metal/plastic bonding failure. He said a flush regularly is only way to try and keep some life out of it.. Just my 35 cents.. My thought is if I have to replace it, I am going all aluminum.. Even if it has to be custom made by Ron Davis..

USMCJim

Reaction score
My two cents... DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET... go with the few extra bucks and get one from the dealership. I bought my jeep from a friend of mine back in July. In the previous year I think he replaced "parts house" "lifetime" radiators two or three times. After I bought it, I replaced with trade-outs on warranty twice. The THIRD time (in a few months) I opened the hood to replace the rad, I had one from the dealership, it has lasted longer already than any of the aftermarket POS that we had used.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Frankly, I think a lot of the "Lifetime Warranty" business on stuff like that is offered solely because they figure the poor schmuck is going to give up after the second time they have to dig in there and replace it. Maybe even after the first time, if they lose their paperwork and they "can't find the record of the sale" in their system. :pp:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.