Radiator Fan Not Coming On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quiksilver21

Reaction score
The other day was sweltering here and was stuck in traffic. Temperature gauge started climbing and noticed the radiator fan didn't kick in.

Is there a fuse or relay i should check to see if its bust or something. Not generally a problem not having it working, first time needle has climbed in forever.

Thanks

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know the electrical fan on the CRD is only for the airconditioner....at least that is what I have read on other Jeep forums. What the other forums did have to say however was that the viscous clutch on the standard fan has a high failure rate ie. when he motor heats up the clutch is supposed to stiffen up but does not. When your temp guage climbs like that...switch off and see how easily you can rotate the engine fan....it should be very stiff. Some guys are removing the fan and fitting electric fans while others are removing the fan and clutch and replacing with a flexi-fan without any viscous clutch. Just something to look at!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know the electrical fan on the CRD is only for the airconditioner....at least that is what I have read on other Jeep forums.

I'm not sure if that's true for the CRD, but it's not true for the gasser and I can't imagine the electric fan operates differently on the two models. Correct me if I'm wrong. It will come on reliably when you turn the airconditioner on, but ultimately it is temperature actuated. Mine will come on at certain times when my AC is not on. There are a lot of steep hills here in Seattle, and there are a few where I cruise down them in 2nd gear to keep from overheating my brakes. Sometimes after I get to the bottom of them, the electric fan is going. Plust it'll sometimes just turn on on hot days when I'm driving around-- usually in-city driving.

Last edited:

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a relay. Most likely failure. Not familiar with the CRD... Is there an engine driven fan too? If not some vehicles have 2 electric fans, one for the normal cycling on/off while running another for the AC use.

Quiksilver21

Reaction score
There is a relay. Most likely failure. Not familiar with the CRD... Is there an engine driven fan too? If not some vehicles have 2 electric fans, one for the normal cycling on/off while running another for the AC use.

Does anyone know where the relay is? The fan looks like it should be electrical, but then what do i know.

TJ2

Reaction score
My '05 CRD has a clutch fan. There are lengthy threads elsewhere about the clutch malfunctioning due to the thermostat.

I would certainly lift the hood and see what's there. Some of the posts here seem to be from people driving gassers and making assumptions.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've observed with my CRD, the front electric fan is temp activated - ie, it will switch on when it sees coolant temp get above a certain setpoint. And it will stay on until coolant temp is reduced below a certain point, even if you've been using A/C - been times I've parked after a run on a hot day and let it idle, electric fan kept running for 3 or 4 minutes until coolant temp dropped below it's setpoint, and then shut off.

From looking at the way the fan is wired, I suspect that it's a two-fold and two speed arrangement, as on my old '87 MB 300D - high speed for reducing coolant temps, and low speed for A/C purposes.