Quote for drain and fill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird noise comin from the front end. Not much spare time lately since I'm. In the process of moving. Called dealership for quote to drain and fill front diff, trans, and transfer case.

386 after tax for all 3.

Guess I have to find time to do it myself.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Doesn't sound too bad. I know the trans service at the dealer ran me near $200.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could easily save $300.00 of that price by doing it yourself .

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm just having trouble finding the time.

Just crawled under for a quick look. I'm starting to lean more towards the transmission.

The transfer case can be checked easily with the skid plates still on.

Does the skid plates need to come off for the transmission to check the level? Where are the drain and fill holes? I couldn't see them.

How hard are the OEM skid plates to take off?

I might have time on Sunday but it will have to be a flawless operation.

Any input appreciated

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better do your homework beforehand to ensure a flawless operation. And be sure to get the correct filter and gasket to save a trip to swap it out. Check your transmission beforehand as well to see if it's a 42RLE or 45RFE..
Pretty helpful and informative thread stickied for the transmission in the stickies of this forum (KJ General Discussion).
If you do a few searches you can find how-to's for the other as well.
As for the skids, mine doesn't have any so I can't add input on that part.. although I'd imagine they're likely just a few bolts.

Last edited:

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the NSG 370.

Glanced.at the manual the skid plates don't look too difficult.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, finding the time and knowing exactly what comes off and needs to, vs wasting time pulling parts that could've stayed on... I hear ya.

But, that's what that other $300 gets you. One and done, as they say. If you have the discretionary funds for that.

I don't. So I buy fluid and filters cheap and literally have to schedule my own time, at home, to do such work. It's hard to get away to do it, but if we can't or won't afford the cost to have someone do it for us, no other options exist.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Skids are easy to take off, save for rusted bolts or anything like that. The tcase one can be a ***** if the nutzert spins the frame, mine did. But the trans shop that rebuilt the trans got it off and it has all the bolts in it now, so maybe it's not all bad.