quick question, gerry can for kj?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onebigbagostupid

Reaction score
I am about to purchase a 2002 jeep liberty renegade and i was wondering if they offer any kind of gerry can carrying kit for the rear. i don't think it will actually save my butt ever, just aesthetic. but ya never know. also jw how does a renegade performance stack up against a sport? both 4wd

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
some ppl have fabbed a mount on the rear....w/ the rear tire moount in place..it wont be too hard to do a DIY over the weekend

as far as perfomance goes between a sport and a rennie

nothing....

the trims are mostly for looks, and hardly for perfomance....they all have the same hardware underneath.....

unless the sport has the 2.4L engine.

there are few variables..like options wise, but as far as regular engine, and other stuff..nothing major..the rennie might be a tad heavier...w/ the extra stuff....but..nothing to write home about

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw something over at 4 wheel parts store, it was a can mount that goes on the spare tire. But I haven't had time to look it up. I'll try today.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tire mount on the Libs is rated for the original tire weight. The heavier tires we use for wheeling have been causing problems on some rigs so I'm not so sure I'd add to the problem, with an even heavier weight (two tires worth). Also a safety issue, get hit in the back with a can of gas back there and you will have the same effect as the Ford Pintos that burned/killed so many people. Rock Lizard is coming out with an awesome looking rear off road bumper that will have the fuel tank and tire on swing out mounts if you want them.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas is around 6 lb per gallon. The JC Whitney mount would work if you hinged it to swing down so you could get to the back when needed. There was a person on the LOST KJ site I believe that developed one that was built with two arms 90 degrees out from that foto that when in the up postion bracketed the spare on both sides. They were hinged to lay down to get to the back. They were built I believe on a hitch extension so you could still get a trailer on the back.

onebigbagostupid

Reaction score
plans

i don't plan it on filling it up unless i go on some long adventure into the hills of tunica. because yeah, i dont want to look like that willy's from that ww2 footage where the back half was on fire and the guys were still hauling butt in it. tough little booger.

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The military also uses what is called an MWC. It is a military water can identical to the gas cans. You could use that for the day to day cool look and swap it out for the gas one when needed.

http://www.buylci.com/

Scroll down to featured products and it is there. I have ten of them and they are strong enough to drive over!

onebigbagostupid

Reaction score
awesome

awesome, so yeah every day this purchase gets closer and closer, abotu how many miles would y'all say libby's are good for, this one has never been off-road and it has 76,000 miles.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: awesome

onebigbagostupid said:
awesome, so yeah every day this purchase gets closer and closer, abotu how many miles would y'all say libby's are good for, this one has never been off-road and it has 76,000 miles.

I must say that we cannot make a call on that yet. Some people are getting over 100k with no problems.. While others are seeing valve train problems.. The libbys have not been out long enough to tell really. They seem to be doing just fine though.. O:)