Quick Evic question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slava

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have EVIC in my KJ but I don't understand why are you guys so fond of it? It provides pretty basic information and, generally speaking, I can live without it :)

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit a snag...... He's saying that all the ones that he has are light tan. He also told me that all his liberty's have a light tan roof color. I could have swore mine was gray. How many different colors did our headliners come in? :shrug:

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have EVIC in my KJ but I don't understand why are you guys so fond of it? It provides pretty basic information and, generally speaking, I can live without it :)

I like to keep an eye on the temperature when it gets cold out. Around 35 and below I am on the look out for black ice! It's about the only thing that I miss from my old explorer!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to keep an eye on the temperature when it gets cold out. Around 35 and below I am on the look out for black ice! It's about the only thing that I miss from my old explorer!

X2. Your color is probably slate grey.
The one should work, but it almost looks tan. It will clash if it is.

as to what they can be used for,
I've started using the service reminder too. I have it set to 4000 miles. I do an oil change and rotate the tires/grease the a-arms on a normal day. Its also nice to program things like auto-locks, time lights stay on after shut-off and things like that.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all 2002-2004 KJs have beige headliner (and therefore EVIC) no matter what color the rest of the interior is.

Sweet! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I ended up ordering that second one I posted. Now to figure out what gauge wire I need to use. Any suggestions?

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 4-way trailer wire (obviously without the plugs) simply for the ease of installation as the 4 wires are already attached together:

You must be registered for see images

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if the one you ended up purchasing is tan instead of gray the "guts" of the EVIC will be fine.

If the color is wrong just look for ANY Chrysler EVIC/OTIS that is gray and negotiate with the seller to simply sell you the EVIC frame or holder - they are all the same. Just install your EVIC computer in the frame and you're good to go. If I remember correctly there are just 4 screws holding the computer in the frame. Looking for any Chrysler EVIC/OTIS frame is a whole lot easier & cheaper than looking just for your Jeep's specific year/color.

Mine came from a 2001 Chrysler Concorde and fit perfectly in my KJ - I even used the EVIC from the Concorde. It includes TPMS and HomeLink; about the only thing my EVIC doesn't do is tell me when the hatch or rear swing gate is open - but the dash light on the Jeep does so it's no big deal.

As gtommec suggested, go with the 4-lead trailer wiring. It's easy, it's the right gauge and since the individual wires are bonded together it will be easy to string across the headliner and down the A-pillar.

Bob

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if the one you ended up purchasing is tan instead of gray the "guts" of the EVIC will be fine.

If the color is wrong just look for ANY Chrysler EVIC/OTIS that is gray and negotiate with the seller to simply sell you the EVIC frame or holder - they are all the same. Just install your EVIC computer in the frame and you're good to go. If I remember correctly there are just 4 screws holding the computer in the frame. Looking for any Chrysler EVIC/OTIS frame is a whole lot easier & cheaper than looking just for your Jeep's specific year/color.

Mine came from a 2001 Chrysler Concorde and fit perfectly in my KJ - I even used the EVIC from the Concorde. It includes TPMS and HomeLink; about the only thing my EVIC doesn't do is tell me when the hatch or rear swing gate is open - but the dash light on the Jeep does so it's no big deal.

As gtommec suggested, go with the 4-lead trailer wiring. It's easy, it's the right gauge and since the individual wires are bonded together it will be easy to string across the headliner and down the A-pillar.

Bob

That's what I was figuring. If anything, I could always try to paint it! :icon_twisted:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh wow, do you mind taking a pic for me?

The parts books only list one color for the headliner/a-pillar trim/grab handles and EVIC.

Will do. It won't be home until later tonight so it may be tomorrow till I have the pics posted.

The interior color is called Dark Slate Gray on the build sheet - which to my eyes is black (seats, carpet, side and door trim panels.) But the a-pillar trim and the headliner is a light gray for sure.

Bob

Last edited:

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. It won't be home until later tonight so it may be tomorrow till I have the pics posted.

The interior color is called Dark Slate Gray on the build sheet - which to my eyes is black (seats, carpet, side and door trim panels.) But the a-pillar trim and the headliner is a light gray for sure.

Bob

Thanks, 2 of my interiors are dark slate grey and i would be interested in seeing how the grey headliner looks as I would love to change mine over.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used thermostate wire (has 4 wires all in 1)

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question for those who added one. There seems to be some confusion on where to run the power wire. Where did you guys run them? :shrug:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question for those who added one. There seems to be some confusion on where to run the power wire. Where did you guys run them? :shrug:

Can't remember the fuse number I used but with an add-a-fuse I plugged into the fuse location you can see in the pic. Hope this helps!

Bob