Quick 4x4 Question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with Jeeps at all. I plan on buying a Cherokee soon, but had a question about the 4x4 types. Most of the ones I've seen are 2 kinds...Selec-Trac and I think Quad-trac?

The selec-trac has 2wd, 4 part time, 4 full time, neutral, and 4 lo. My question is...does the 4 part time let you drive on dry surfaces with it on? My finace has a Liberty with selec-trac and when she uses the 4hi, it's part time and can only drive on slippery surfaces. I'm jsut trying to figure out the difference between 4 part time and 4 full time in the cherokees.

Also...the type that has 4 full time, neutral and 4 lo works as if it's rear drive but when the back tires lose grip, it engages the front ones, right?

which would be better to have, the selec trac or the quad trac...if that's what it's called.

are there any charts, write ups that explain all the different 4x4 options?

thanks for any help!

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with Jeeps at all. I plan on buying a Cherokee soon, but had a question about the 4x4 types. Most of the ones I've seen are 2 kinds...Selec-Trac and I think Quad-trac?

The selec-trac has 2wd, 4 part time, 4 full time, neutral, and 4 lo. My question is...does the 4 part time let you drive on dry surfaces with it on? My finace has a Liberty with selec-trac and when she uses the 4hi, it's part time and can only drive on slippery surfaces. I'm jsut trying to figure out the difference between 4 part time and 4 full time in the cherokees.

Also...the type that has 4 full time, neutral and 4 lo works as if it's rear drive but when the back tires lose grip, it engages the front ones, right?

which would be better to have, the selec trac or the quad trac...if that's what it's called.

are there any charts, write ups that explain all the different 4x4 options?

thanks for any help!

Hey....

The Select Trac 4 Part Time should only be driven on loose/slippery surfaces...the Full Time can be used on less slippery/loose surfaces.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah, ok...so for the most part i would want to drive that one in the 2wd...then if its really raining or a little slick, use the 4 full time and then when it's really snowing bad and the roads suck, use the 4 part time or 4 full time?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
ah, ok...so for the most part i would want to drive that one in the 2wd...then if its really raining or a little slick, use the 4 full time and then when it's really snowing bad and the roads suck, use the 4 part time or 4 full time?

Exactly....if it's a little sketchy, then 4 FullTime...really bad conditions then 4 PartTime. I was confused at first about this system, but peeps on here informed me where I was thinking wrong.

In PartTime, the front diff is turning at a different ratio than the rear, and in FullTime the rears and front are turning at the same ratio. So, if there isn't enough slip, then the T-Case will self destruct if used in PT on dry conditions.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, found a little more info and it seems like there are 3 options in the kind of GC that i'm looking at...Quada-Trac II, Selec-Trac, and Quadra-Drive. Is there a favorite or a worst that I should avoid or is it more just personal preference for how you want your Jeep to respond when you drive? (I've never had a 4x4 vehicle before so all this is new)

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay...thanks kj...that's kinda how my fiance's liberty is...she has 2hi, 4hi part time, neutral or 4 lo...so that's how you described.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
ok, found a little more info and it seems like there are 3 options in the kind of GC that i'm looking at...Quada-Trac II, Selec-Trac, and Quadra-Drive. Is there a favorite or a worst that I should avoid or is it more just personal preference for how you want your Jeep to respond when you drive? (I've never had a 4x4 vehicle before so all this is new)

There are a few guys with GC's on here and they may chime in as I don't know the GC's drive systems very well.

I like my Selec-Trac....but it's a weaker version of T-Case as compared to the Command -Trac. Marlon-JB2 has a GC...he will tell you which is better.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As for the WK...there are 3 systems
Quadra Trac I- Basic AWD, no low range. Uses TC to send power to wheels with most traction, used on 3.7 engines....
Quadra Trac II- Uses TC to send power to the axle with the most traction, has a 2:72 Low Range, used on 4.7's w/o the off road package
Quadra Drive II- Can send the power to wheel with the most traction, has a 2:72 low range...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
WJs have an entirely different setup than the WK. Which GC are we talking about here?

With that said it's Marlon_JB2 not Marlon-JB2. :p

One thing HJ, there *are* some, very little though, WKs with the 3.7L and Quadra-Trac II.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I heard that....I'd drive one. Never seen one is person....but I read it...

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into the WJ model. It seems like all the different types are pretty decent, are there any negatives about any certain kind?

wjcherokee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only negative to all the systems in the WJs is that the viscous coupler in the transfer case is sensative to any change in PSI in the tires. This causes uneven strain on the coupler and cause it to work more which in turn can sieze the unit. And they are a sealed unit and cannot be repaired only replaced. If you can try to find a WJ that has a selec-trac system (hard to find but way nicer having the 2wd option and no viscous coupler). Also the oil in the coupler after 100,000km can break down and since its a sealed unit will again sieze it.

This doesnt happen all the time but it happened to me.

Last edited: